Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 201249
Surgical, Inc. produces the da Vinci® Surgical System, a minimally invasive
robotic surgery system that uses highly complex mechanics, replaceable
instruments and accessories, and enhanced three-dimensional visualization to
extend surgical technique and precision beyond the limits of the human hand.
The Software Engineer will develop and test new and innovative surgical energy generators and robotic instrument products for the Intuitive da Vinci Surgical System. He or she must excel in a high-energy team environment and be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures and incomplete information typical of new product development. The successful candidate must have strong technical depth in relevant areas, and have a track record of successful product development efforts.
- Represent Software Engineering on cross-functional project teams that design, test and develop next generation electrosurgical generator and robotic instrument products
- Work closely with the hardware, software and system engineering teams to determine best methods to satisfy and verify design requirements and to ensure design outputs are successfully integrated into effective system designs
- Support robotic instrument and generator development & testing across multiple development platforms
- Develop, implement, test and document solutions for designs according to clinical and market requirements
- Develop test methodologies to perform manual or automated software verification.
- Provide rapid prototype firmware and iterative design support for the testing of new technology and to evaluate future product release content
- Provide engineering support for resolution of field and manufacturing issues
- Provide technical support to other company stakeholders on energy based surgical technologies
- Support the quality and regulatory processes as required
- BS required, MS preferred (EE or CS preferred). Minimum 5 years of software development experience.
- Experience developing complete firmware or software solutions for embedded systems using C/C++, VHDL, Verilog and assembly language.
- Develop tests at module and system level in Python or Matlab.
- Debug software and perform reviews of test automation and application code.
- Contribute to design documentation for test protocols, results and reports and complete tracing for all software requirements.
- Assist in analysis of test and field data, identify non-conformance trends, generate concise executive summaries, and recommend design improvements.
- Working knowledge of peripherals commonly used on embedded systems such as ADCs, DACs, PWM and waveform generation and serial communications (I2C, SPI, RS232)
- Proven experience using electronic bench equipment such as oscilloscopes and function generators for the bring up and troubleshooting of hardware
- Proven experience in a fast paced, high transaction environment providing solutions throughout the entire product lifecycle
- Hands-on engineering with the proven ability to work well in a team environment
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools and effective peer review techniques
- Experience with designing products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications is desired; comfort with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
- Ability to communicate effectively (written, oral) across all levels and organizations
- A real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems