Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 201235
Description of Position:
The Advanced Research group within Intuitive Surgical has an immediate opening in Sunnyvale, CA for a Sr. Software Engineer who will contribute to the exploration of a novel system concept for a new application of surgical robotics. This role is an exciting opportunity to join a small and innovative team in the very early phases of product development.
The Sr. Software Engineer is responsible for design, implementation, debugging and verification of embedded software and user interfaces for a novel surgical robot system and related instruments and accessories. The engineer should be comfortable developing software in C/C++ on a variety of embedded platforms, both with and without operating systems. The ideal candidate is a strong developer, capable of producing robust, high-quality code in the face of rapidly changing requirements, with the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team to explore, prototype, test, and iterate novel mechanisms. They must excel in a high-energy, focused, small-team environment, and have a commitment to high quality prototypes and concepts.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work in a small, cross-functional project team to design, develop and test novel robotic systems and instruments
- Develop embedded software, primarily in C/C++, and document software requirements, specifications and testing according to Intuitive’s development guidelines
- Define and maintain superior development standards for the software development of prototypes and early-phase development, with an eye towards production standards
- Establish individual goals consistent with overall project goals
- BS or MS in Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related engineering or scientific discipline, or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience developing commercial products
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional research and development teams to design and develop complex systems
- Familiar with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
- Experience with object-oriented development in C++
- Experience with the following specific technologies are a plus: embedded Linux, QNX, Qt/QML and Python
- Experience with designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry is a plus
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.