Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 201234
The Advanced Research group within Intuitive Surgical has an immediate opening in Sunnyvale, CA for a Senior Robotic Controls Research Engineer, contributing to the exploration of a novel system concept for a new application of surgical robotics. This role is an exciting opportunity to join a small and innovative team in the very early phases of product development.
The Senior Robotic Controls Research Engineer is responsible for the detailed design and implementation of robotic control algorithms and safety systems for new surgical robots and surgical instruments. This position provides analytic assistance to other engineering groups to help in the design of mechanisms, software architecture, and key component selection (processors, sensors, motors, etc.). Robotic Control Research Engineers also maintain awareness and interest in developing research and technologies related to robotics and safety critical systems and actively apply this knowledge to the system design.
The successful candidate will have both the technical depth to resolve complex systems design issues and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team to explore, prototype, test, and iterate novel mechanisms. They must excel in a high-energy, focused, small-team environment, and have a commitment to high quality prototypes and concepts.
- Work in a small, cross-functional project team to design, develop and test novel robotic systems and instruments
- Research and review literature and prior art (both internal and external to the company) to inform design decisions and architectures
- Observe clinical cases and participate in interviews with clinical experts to inform designs
- Provide critical analysis of robot servo control and contribute to the design of new robot manipulators through analysis and characterization of prototypes.
- Facilitate mechanical, hardware, and software integration of new prototypes and new products including complete systems, manipulators, and imaging
- Document and communicate intellectual property
- Establish individual goals consistent with overall project goals
- MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related engineering or scientific discipline required, or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience developing commercial products
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional research and development teams to design and develop complex robotic systems
- Understand and have experience implementing standard and modern servo control systems; have personally developed algorithms and functional control software for commercial products
- Possess strong embedded programming capabilities as well as hardware, software, and mechanism integration skills
- Familiar with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.