Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 201195
Play a lead role within Intuitive Surgical designing, building, and supporting machine vision systems in manufacturing equipment used to produce Intuitive’s state-of-the-art robotic laparoscopic medical devices. This custom manufacturing equipment employs a wide variety of automated features, including electronic sensing, motion control, machine vision, and data collection, however the primary responsibility for this position is the machine vision elements. This position will play a critical role in scaling manufacturing operations, while improving capacity, quality, yield, and efficiency.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience developing and integrating machine vision systems for both inspection and guidance applications within custom automated equipment. The candidate will take the application from requirements definition through release, to sustained production use within a high-volume manufacturing environment where quality is a strict requirement. The individual in this role will define standards and best practices across the organization, and serve as a subject matter expert within the Equipment Engineering Group.
- Define a scalable machine vision strategy and standards for manufacturing requirements, including part quality, error proofing, and robot guidance.
- Create system specifications as they pertain to vision requirements for various factory automation equipment.
- Work alongside with mechanical and electrical engineers to create vision enabled factory inspection and automation systems
- Design, develop and implement vision algorithms for inspection and location guidance
- Determine the optimal machine vision architecture to perform specific sets of operations.
- Specify or design machine vision system hardware and software, including: vision equipment, power distribution, I/O networks, software, and cost estimating tools.
- Define the algorithms and develop the software to fulfill system requirements.
- Interface with vision equipment and vision integration suppliers.
- Specify the requirements for, and manage the creation of, equipment incorporating machine vision which can be designed and fabricated by third parties.
- Qualify vision-enabled manufacturing equipment to ensure the fulfillment of all requirements.
- Evaluate and validate new vision technologies.
- Provide machine vision-related technical support to on-going production operations.
- Improve product quality and reliability using data acquisition in conjunction with Six Sigma, Cpk, Gauge R&R, and similar quality tools.
- Thoroughly document all aspects of the equipment, including its requirements, design, operation, and qualification in compliance with Good Manufacturing Processes (GMP).
- Advocate techniques for World Class machine vision practices, design for manufacturing, assembly and product test.
- BSEE, BSME, Controls, Software Engineering or similar, advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience preferred developing machine vision systems for automated manufacturing equipment.
- Proficiency with Cognex and Keyence vision systems.
- Capable of programming in C#, C++ or Python and utilizing machine vision API’s such as Cognex VisionPro or OpenCV.
- Knowledge of image processing and analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of camera, light, and lens selection for applications ranging from defect detection to part location.
- Experience with techniques used for communicating vision information to robotic and automated assembly stations.
- Proven ability to develop high quality, reliable, vision-enabled automated manufacturing systems, which integrate electronic sensors, motors, and motion control components to perform mechatronic tasks.
- Experience managing the development of vision systems for complex integrated equipment.
- Strong technical analytical skills including machine vision algorithms and statistical methods.
- Familiarity with regulated Quality Systems, especially medical device regulations, is a plus.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.