Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Raleigh-US-NC-Raleigh
Requisition ID: 201183
Primary Function of Position:
The Sr. Embedded Software Engineer will work with a group of talented and dedicated people to improve and extend Intuitive’s surgical robotic product lines. You will contribute broadly to the Systems and Imaging Business Unit, with focused contribution on vision related embedded software for da Vinci™ Surgical System products. As a member of the embedded software team, you will be involved in delivering features to the surgical customer by integrating complex functionality into complete surgical robot solutions, and seeing these through to product release. The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy small focused team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. Quick learning and a desire to understand requirements and create solutions are essential to become a valuable integrator and system developer. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required, as is the ability to make work fun and interesting. Supporting you will be a development and management team that knows and cares about what you are doing, and wants you to succeed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Ability and desire to read and understand an undocumented existing code base which includes low level and multi-processing heterogeneous networked processors.
- Work closely with Manufacturing engineer team to investigate, debug, and isolate system SW issues found in manufacturing build and qualification of the systems.
- Design and implement embedded software to support EOL hardware components including new SW driver, application, and validation utilities.
- Develop new features, investigate, and resolve design issues that impact the performance of systems in the field and design issues related to the manufacturing process.
- Support definition, bring-up and integration of new custom PCAs and FPGA IP
- Create, document, implement, unit test, and help develop detailed software designs in an exciting and sophisticated robotic system
- Document according to Intuitive’s development guidelines
- SW Design Engineers have responsibility for ensuring that medical device designs meet product quality requirements and for compliance to the design control processes in the Quality Management System.
- Bachelor/Master/PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical, or Computer Engineering
- 8+ years industry experience in developing and supporting embedded systems
- Experience with real-time operating systems and multithreaded programming
- Excellent debugging skill and strong ability to root cause and isolate system issue to component level (Mechanical, hardware, and software)
- Fluent in designing and developing cross-platform code in C/C++
- Experience in low level driver development in embedded platforms
- Experience in working and supporting manufacturing organization
- Hands-on engineering experience with proven ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to build and maintain relationships across supported organizations
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- A real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems
- A desire to deliver a quality and innovative product that improves many people’s lives
- Working knowledge of PetaLinux and/or Embedded Linux
- Working knowledge of Matlab, Python, or other scripting languages
- Working knowledge of revision control systems such as SVN and Git.
- Working knowledge of build systems such as GNU Make and CMake, EMake
- Proficiency with data mining/visualization tools such as SQL, Elasticsearch, R, Python, Tableau
- Demonstrated experience in and comfort with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to manufacturing
- Experience designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications; comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, risk analysis, and mitigations
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.