Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 201158
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly complex surgical systems including cameras, instruments, and accessories for use in surgery. The primary function for the Project Manager is to drive execution of Education projects and initiatives in alignment with the PMO organization and in support of the Professional Education and Program Services (PEPS) educational product portfolio. The Project Manager will serve as the primary liaison between the Engineering PMO and the PEPS Operations and Innovation organization to provide cross-functional project management and support of launching new product introductions, clinical procedure clearances, education products and platforms, and other key strategic initiatives. The Project Manager will be responsible for implementing a consistent Project Management framework to identify and manage education requirements for education product launches, risks, deliverables, budgets, and schedules to lead cross functional efforts and execute on project plans. He/She will also maintain dashboards and reports to drive proactive communication and collaboration in a matrixed environment and enable operational excellence and process optimization.
- Implement and customize the Engineering Department’s PMO framework and tools to provide functional, strategic, and tactical leadership to project teams responsible for a variety of education portfolio deliverables, including new product introductions (NPI), clinical procedure development/launch, key educational strategic objectives, field actions/recalls, and key Customer Training strategic initiatives. Ensure appropriate planning, communication, risk mitigation, and business unit readiness in alignment with development and commercialization target dates.
- Develop and manage project plans in collaboration with product and process owners to manage scope, timeline, resources and overall project plan to meet project objectives and timelines.
- Manage the project plan by identifying critical paths to completion while considering constraints, contingencies, and mitigations to achieve project objectives. Communicate risks and threats and develop contingency plans in alignment with functional management and senior leadership.
- Integrate with Engineering teams and the PMO during development to drive education requirements upstream to Engineering, directly impacting product design and the ability of the education organization to efficiently develop, validate, launch and sustain product/clinical educational content.
- Partner with the PMO and utilize product and portfolio roadmaps for forecasting and capacity planning.
- Contribute to project prioritization decisions by providing data and analysis from current and past projects.
- Establish strong collaboration and communication with internal and external business units (training, marketing, engineering, regulatory, quality teams), bridging development processes, approaches, and cultures. Work with stakeholders and partner groups to gather input and requirements and gain alignment & support to achieve project objectives.
- Ensure that domestic & global education strategies, assumptions, business opportunities are measured & periodically reviewed throughout duration of project execution & initial product/procedure launch.
- Oversee and coordinate cross- functional participation within project teams, set clear expectations and manage contributions towards the project plan.
- Build and maintain reports and dashboards using standard tools to establish transparent and up-to-date project status updates. Identify and build strong informal and formal communication channels to deliver information that is accurate and up-to-date to all stakeholders.
- Contribute to product development and new product introduction process optimization by sharing best practice development, lessons learned, resource leveling and process input.
- Support operational excellence initiatives, process optimization, and continuous improvement efforts led by the Operations and Innovation team
Skill/Job Requirements (essential):
- Bachelor’s degree or global equivalent in a scientific field and/or education field preferred; business, finance or related field will be considered in conjunction with experience.
- 5 plus years’ experience in education and training project management, preferably in the medical technology industry.
- Certification in project management (PMP) strongly desired.
- Experience in educational product development and customer-facing training programs strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of engineering, product strategy and business management preferred.
- Medical device and familiarity with design control process strongly desired.
- Minimum 5-years of experience in development and management of products and solutions.
- Strong communication and presentation skills; ability to communicate effectively with Senior Leadership.
- Proven ability to lead, influence and work well at all levels of an organization and in cross functional team environments.
- Strong project management, planning, decision making, negotiating and change management skills.
- Working knowledge and proven experience with Business Process Improvement (BPI) methodologies desired.
- Willing to go the extra mile with a strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful with the ability to deal with conflict and drive to solution.
- Ability to handle ambiguity effectively and oversee multiple projects at once.
- Experience in analyzing tradeoffs between product features, customer needs/requirements, produce-ability and cost.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and synthesize data, set actionable goals and monitor metrics to manage execution.
- Energetic and balanced person with a drive for results, who feels accountable, has a great attitude, and is a team-player; self-starter with high degree of initiative, urgency, and follow through.
- Independent thinker willing and able to express and support a point of view.
- Capacity and willingness to work both independently and collaboratively on projects with aggressive timelines
- High attention to detail and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously; must work well under pressure, be flexible, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to foster high levels of team collaboration while managing multiple stakeholder expectations.
- Understanding of Agile methodology, its values and principles, including backlog grooming, release and sprint planning, burn-up/down charts, etc.
- Desired project tools experience includes Clarity, JIRA, Confluence, Salesforce, and Tableau.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.