Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 200853
Description of Position:
The da Vinci system pushes the frontier of human-machine interaction by fusing many technologies into a core product experience – technologies such as 3D immersive vision, real-time haptic interface and robotic manipulators. Interaction Design is a key role at Intuitive Surgical, with responsibilities that cut across multiple technical disciplines to create products that make customers’ experience of using technically complex surgical devices safe, easy to learn, and confidence-inspiring.
The Sr. Interaction Designer works collaboratively with engineering teams to help develop new products in the da Vinci product line, including robotic systems, instruments and accessories. Interaction designers employ a user-centered design process to develop physical and digital user interface concepts, to iterate and converge on designs that delight our users.
Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Design world class physical and digital interfaces. Maintain superior design standards and methods from brainstorming through prototyping and implementation. Ensure a thorough understanding of the problems being solved by working with human factors, clinical development, and the engineering team.
2. Participate in user research and user testing activities. In collaboration with human factors engineers, develop a strong understanding of the user through ethnography and other techniques. Participate in the validation of product usability through informal and formal testing with representative users.
3. Contribute to the visual language of the product. Collaborate with visual designers to produce beautiful and functional interfaces.
4. Contribute to design documentation, risk analysis and testing. Write user interface specifications that communicate design intent to engineering and that can be verified by testing. Consider safety risks in light of potential use errors and design mitigations for those risks.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in product design (in-house, agency, or freelance)
• Preference for Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, in Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, or an engineering discipline
• Proven record of bringing products to market that contain complex user interactions, especially products with physical interactions that are not solely web- or software-based
• Proficient in the use of current design tools and software applications, with strong experience with prototyping tools
• Possess a strong aesthetic sense and at least some artistic skill
• Passionate for delivering the best possible experience to the user• Ability to travel up to 10% of the time