Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 200636
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
As Intuitive’s da Vinci® Surgical System becomes adopted by an increasing population of hospitals, surgeons and patients, we are building a focused team to drive reliability, quality, and safety to ever-better levels. This focus applies to product in use, product in manufacturing, and product in design. Help us powerfully drive our quality mission in our young and growing company by bringing your hands-on experience in solving tough engineering problems, your fascination with complex electro-mechanical devices, and your passion for the best practices to design, monitor, and improve product and process.
Intuitive seeks a strong technical contributor who can help define practical, useful quality metrics and specifications, identify key opportunities for product improvement, launch quality initiatives, lead projects to implement these initiatives, and serve as an expert consultant to help solve the most technically challenging quality problems. The ideal candidate possesses a broad base of experience and a high level of technical depth in at least two technical specialties applicable to medical robotics, and is equally at home in the test lab and providing technical leadership to our team as we develop standard practices of our organization. You will not abide “process red tape”, instead passionately seeking the most efficient way to build in product quality. And you will also coach, mentor, teach, and influence the engineering staff in best quality practices, data analysis, protocol development, and design for quality and reliability methods.
This position has responsibility and authority for:
60% involvement in production process failure investigation and documentation, 40% quality advocacy and project management.
- 1) Quality Advocacy and Project Management
- Collect and monitor corporate level quality metrics.
- Contribute to quality initiatives in one or more of these focus areas:
- Product Quality
- Data Quality
- Process Quality
- 2) Failure Analysis
- Provide quality expertise to lead or support investigation of manufacturing line and incoming inspection failures.
- Identify root cause and drive activities to contain and resolve the failures.
- Ensure documentation completeness and compliance
- Perform deep technical failure analysis based on the physics of failure.
- Review and interpret complex data analysis rooted in an understanding of our product hardware and software, the physics of failure, and the use conditions in the clinical / operating room environment.
Competency Requirements: In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must possess:
- Education: Bachelor's degree in electrical, mechanical or system engineering, math, or physics and minimum of 1 year of related experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- At least two areas of deep technical expertise applicable to the manufacture of medical robotic systems. Example areas of expertise:
- Quality and Process management techniques (5Why, Gauge R&R, IQ/OQ/PQ/PPQ, etc.)
- Quality statistics
- Medical device software development, software quality best practices
- Controls, algorithm development, program in MATLAB or Python
- Mechanical engineering, with experience relevant to robotic systems
- Electrical engineering, with experience relevant to robotic systems
- Design for reliability, manufacturability, serviceability
- Proven ability to work in teams and to project-manage cross-functionally
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to influence others:
- Passionate about our mission to improve product quality
- Able to use persuasive, logical arguments based on data
- Assist people in finding creative solutions around constraints
- Lead by example
- Strong analytic skills as proven by track record for analyzing and fixing complex problems
- A passion for doing the vital few things efficiently and well
- A strong desire to make work fun