Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 200609
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary function of position:
The Product Manager (PM) supports Training Technologies’ product development from concept approval to launch. The candidate will be responsbible for the upstream management of products within the product development process (PDP). This includes managing the product roadmap, conducting user research, making product and feature proposals, writing product requirements, conducting user testing, and working with our downstream product marketing rollout teammates to ensure a successful launch. The PM will implement the overall product vision, user experience, and product strategy for a portfolio of products, including but not limited to VR and serious game content; product and projects related to the core technologies in the Intuitive simulation service. With help from our design, engineering, and project teams, you will define and oversee the creation of various training technologies, one of which is a simulator used by surgeons to hone their robotic surgery skills. The candidate must be passionate about, and represent, the voice of customer (business needs) and voice of user (user needs). The PM is expected to interface directly with other design engineering teams, internal business partners, and external stakeholders to identify, plan, and develop effective training and education technologies for robotic surgeons & staff.
• Maintain the product portfolio in assigned product category by working with company stakeholders to strategically support the business goals of the company. Communicate the short term and long range product objectives to business partners, garnering alignment.• Develop the business justification for new products and features by working with customers and company stakeholders. Develop forecasts and other business analyses, including competitive assessments, to facilitate sound data-driven decision making.• Work with internal and external research partners to manage user research through interviews, case observations, focus groups, and user testing. Synthesize information, develop product strategies and recommendations and communicate findings to internal stakeholders including management.• Create and refine the product requirements with input and feedback from customers and company stakeholders. Negotiate product requirements with company stakeholders and ensure the product is kept in alignment with the needs of the customer and business during the course of development. Redirect engineering activities as needed to ensure delivery of a successful product to market.• Lead the ongoing development of the product strategy by developing a framework for decision making. Shepherd the product through its development via relentless identification and closure of user, technical, and business issues.• Influence and define customer training and educational objectives.• Facilitate efficient and sound decision-making during the development process to ensure the new product designs are aligned with user needs, business needs, and established design principles.• Consolidate the results of user testing performed by human factors, interaction design, and clinical engineering teams. Communicate conclusions and recommendations to product development teams.• Collaborate with researchers, artists, designers, and engineers during proof of concept and/or prototype development and storyboarding• Initiate claims process for downstream customer messaging• Define and manage game verticals that further the overall strategic vision of the product.• Drive product and program enhancements from market requirements; provide marketing support and customer perspective to development teams during product development process• Provide product-related support for user documentation, product training, and marketing collateral for new products.• Support downstream initiatives by influencing and assisting go-to-market planning• Contribute to improving the quality of products, the productivity of our teams, and the efficiency of our processes• Collaborate with engineering disciplines to confirm product performance by helping design and coordinate tests where applicable.• Work with management team to craft vision of product offerings, and to develop schedules and resource requirements to ensure achievement of vision• Conduct and communicate in-depth analysis of industry trends using data insights and strong business acumen to impact top line KPIs.• Track product performance and communicate KPIs to internal and external stakeholders, making recommendations for feature and/or product adjustments
• 5+ years experience as a Product Manager in the following industries: serious games, medical device, software-as-a-service, or education services
• Managed a successful software product (web, mobile, or XR) in the past and delivered/shipped at least one product through the entire product development cycle.
• Must be a self-starter and results oriented, with experience in setting and meeting goals based on department and corporate objectives.
• Experience managing a cross-functional team (programmers, artists, animators, designers, testers)
• Strong product management skills and highly experienced in Agile methodology preferred
• MBA or demonstrated business acumen is preferred.
• Experience defining specs, PRDs, and/or Game Design documents with clear technical requirements, user flows and/or wireframes.
• Excellent communication and writing skills, with experience communicating both creative and technical feedback to a diverse group of stakeholders; fluent English.
• Must have strong proficiency with desktop applications including: Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Excellent teamwork skills with proven ability to collaborate across multiple disciplines to ensure product success and ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority. This includes the ability to work well in bridging communication between engineering, design, marketing, sales, and customers.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; you are humble, curious, creative, and emotionally intelligent.
• You see things differently, strive for continuous improvement, and make informed decisions with just enough data.
• Experience working in a regulated environment (FDA) is desired.
• Demonstrated working experience within a clinical setting or have a working knowledge of clinical applications is preferred.
• Experience with robotic surgical systems is desired.
• Ability to travel up to 33% of the time
• Ability to carry loads up to 50 lbs.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.