Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 200601
Joining Intuitive means joining a team dedicated to using technology to improve patient care efficacy and decreasing invasiveness of medical procedures, with patient safety as our highest priority.
We work in a high-energy, focused, small-team environment, and believe in applying first principle thinking, data driven decision making, continuous learning, systematic planning to deliver results and achieving our goals.
Primary Function of Position:
The Da Vinci SP system is Intuitive's new robotic platform which enables narrow, deep surgical access through a single entry port. The main responsibility of the position is to lead the embedded software team in extending and improving the embedded software at the heart of the SP system, ensuring safe and reliable operation of and robust data communication between compute nodes, and all system aspects that derive from it. The successful candidate is a hands-on technical manager that is able to drive to solutions from rough requirements and has a commitment to high product quality. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Recognize and attract top talent, mentor and train existing team members and new hires through one on one coaching as well as team wide initiatives.
- Interface with variety of cross functional teams including Mechanical, Electrical, Clinical, Interaction Design, Product Support, understanding embedded software and user interface needs in order to create, maintain, and track a bottom-up schedule that best supports business unit top-down goals.
- Own full development lifecycle for embedded software team and associated documentation (negotiate requirements, systematic risk assessment and mitigation, prototyping, development, testing, and software releases).
- Champion best practices in software development (code reviews, scrums, bug scrubbing meetings, coding conventions, continuous integration, defensive programming, static analysis, design patterns, etc.).
- Drive technical development across a variety of areas ranging from board bring up, inter-node communication protocols, OS management, cybersecurity, and safety algorithms.
- BS or MS in CS, EE or related fields.
- Hands on experience in software development in C and C++. Experience in Python a plus.
- Experience working with embedded systems and electromechanical systems.
- Experience planning and executing complex software deliverables on tight deadlines.
- Experience recruiting, mentoring, and functionally managing teams of highly skilled engineers.
- Experience with multi-threaded and multi-process programming, as well as inter-process and inter-node communication techniques for Linux.
- Experience with designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications is a plus; comfort with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis.