Primary Location: Singapore-Central Region-Kampong Glam-Singapore
Requisition ID: 200529
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and
decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The Senior Director of Global Public Affairs, APAC, will help to develop and oversee the company’s public affairs, government relations, media relations, advocacy strategy, and tactical execution in the Asia Pacific region. This role will work closely with global corporate, regional and in-country leadership, in-market teams, public affairs colleagues and others to thoughtfully and strategically protect and promote the company’s interests, corporate reputation as well as advance our policy positions and relationships with key stakeholders in the region.
• Reports to: Vice President of Global Public Affairs
• Develop organizational and advocacy strategy/tactics in close partnership with global and local leadership, global public affairs team spanning media relations, public policy, thought leadership and advocacy.
• Build a strong network of internal relationships with global executives, country managers, cross-functional colleagues in areas such as marketing, clinical and regulatory affairs, healthcare economics, drive and maintain alignment with Global Public Affairs team and other business functions.
• Quickly get up to speed on Intuitive’s business landscape, its stakeholders, its mission and impact on society, become conversant on our technology, its clinical and economic value.
• Develop and implement proactive and reactive communications plans and protocols designed to raise awareness of Intuitive and its brand profile as well as anticipate risks and challenges.
• Brief and coach local and global executives on key messaging, public policy issues, business risks and opportunities in advance of external engagements, provide on-site support for events and media interactions as needed.
• Build out regional public affairs footprint by building close working relationships with in-market stakeholders, creating communications tool kits, developing PR firm relationships and identifying market specific and regional engagement points.
• Closely follow key trends in the political, media, healthcare industry and economic landscape, monitoring for coverage or major developments that impact Intuitive, its competitors and the larger business environment.
• Monitor and flag legislative and regulatory actions that would impact the company’s operations and/or business goals in such realms as (but not limited to): health care, taxation, trade, reimbursement; and make appropriate recommendations to company leaders for action.
• Work to develop, foster, and strengthen relationships with key policymakers and influencers, third party organizations such as industry groups and medical societies throughout Asia.
• Regularly participate in, and represent department’s perspective at, internal conferences and meetings held throughout the region. Attend external conferences and events as needed to gather intelligence and identify opportunities.
• Draft, edit and curate policy, media and advocacy focused strategic materials and messaging.
• Collaborate with other members of ISI’s Global Public Affairs team, including Government Affairs, Media Relations and Advocacy focused staff in other countries, to help ensure that all efforts the company undertakes are coordinated and complementary.
• Minimum of 15 years of experience in public affairs; strong APAC regional public affairs experience including media relations, government affairs, policy and advocacy and crisis and issues management.
• Strong experience and understanding of medical device, healthcare, or pharmaceutical industries preferred.
• Ability to work in a complex, global, and highly matrixed organization, with special capability to collaborate, communication and manage portfolio regardless of location.
• Strong, skilled, effective communicator with proven track record of distilling complex ideas into effective, clear, concise and actionable campaigns and content.
• Proven ability to make, build consensus around, and get acceptance for, tough decisions in a highly collaborative and interdependent organization.
• Strong project manager, able to map out strategies, protocols, milestones and execute in close collaboration with diverse stakeholders and business functions.
• Demonstrated experience managing concurrent projects and work streams across countries and regions while delivering high-quality materials and results.
• Quick strategic thinker, who is able to effectively synthesize and translate complex material for education/engagement purposes both internally and externally.
• Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
• Strong communicator, writer, editor and presenter.
• Bachelor’s degree required, relevant Master’s degree a plus
• Ability to travel up to 50%
Other Personal Characteristics:
• Be a collaborative individual able to advise and influence a wide range of internal and external people at all levels of the company.
• Demonstrate sound judgement and integrity and be known for building a working environment based on mutual respect and trust.
• Be willing and able to work effectively in high-stress, high-pressure situations.
• Be capable and willing to offer opinions and judgements while also being able to listen intently to, and build consensus with, others.
• Be a strong team player – able to jump in on projects as needed that may be beyond your scope and committed to the success of your colleagues.
• Demonstrate energy and enthusiasm for Intuitive’s business and goals.
• General understanding of the cultural and business nuances in various APAC countries.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.