Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Durham-US-NC-Durham
Requisition ID: 200490
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The mission of the training team is “to partner with manufacturing to develop and sustain a well-trained and flexible workforce.” The role of a Training Supervisor II is critical to the success of that mission as the first leadership line of support to training-related activities on the production floor. A Supervisor II is a seasoned leader who can collect the needs of cross-functional business partners, and drive successful execution to clearly defined plans through the training team. This person will manage the day-to-day operation as the direct supervisor of trainers of varying levels. In addition to the daily management of the team, this senior level leader will participate in goal setting at both a quarterly and an annual basis, leveraging their knowledge of the training and production operations to develop and execute right-sized projects, often leading project teams themself. The supervisor will also be a key leader in growing and developing the team, including recommending capacity needs, interviewing, hiring, and ultimately mentoring new trainers. A Supervisor II should have strong analytical skills, and be able to effectively interpret key business metrics and leverage that information to drive improvements on the team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Effectively collect and recommend attainable training needs from production and coordinate the team’s execution to those plans on a consistent quarterly basis with autonomy. Weighs business priorities effectively and adapts training resources as necessary throughout the quarter; develops mature plans with contingencies in place for disruption to enable consistent delivery of training to a pre-established plan.
• Provide support to ISI Operations through the maintenance of training records in the Learning Management System (LMS) and scheduling of training courses. Able to recommend appropriate training opportunities and work with partner training teams to implement relevant courses where necessary.
• Effectively uses data to communicate both outwardly and inwardly to the team. Has a deep understanding of key training metrics and leverages data to manage the team on a daily basis as well as to recommend quarterly goals and projects that are aligned well with the needs of the business.
• Evaluate the effectiveness of the training system based on product quality data, safety data, management and employee feedback, training and certification results, DHR review findings and other data.
• Collaborate with operational leaders to refine current functional training programs and develop new programs as necessary to meet business needs. Able to lead the coordination, development, and implementation of training for special projects or key initiatives as directed
• Manage training team’s deliverables during new product introduction (NPI), including appropriate delegation of training resources to successfully support training certification and documentation needs. Regularly and effectively communicates cross-functionally with autonomy, ensuring the training needs of support teams are well-defined and successfully achieved. Drives improvements to the team’s ability to work effectively in the new product environment.
• Uses data to recommend headcount requirements to support operational growth on a quarterly and annual basis. Identify and recruit new trainers to adequately staff organization for production training support.
• Train new trainers to guidelines and best practices for being effective on-the-job trainers. Identify opportunities for improving and enhancing trainer skills. Assess employees’ skills against training standards and provide feedback to management as required. Sought out as training expert by both subordinates and peers for advice/mentorship on training.
• Write and conduct formal annual performance reviews and goals for direct reports.
• Ability to direct and/or deliver training courses in the areas of manufacturing skills and processes if necessary, such as quality system/GMP practices, IT tools, or other subjects as necessary.
• 4 years of supervisory experience, preferably in a manufacturing and/or training environment.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Excellent communication and presentation skills.
• Resourceful, accountable and demonstrates initiative with an established bias for action in a team environment.
• Proven project management skills, meets deadlines, and demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with all levels of management.
• Familiarity with adult learning design and learning management software.
• Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
• Ability to present training course material to a group of people and to effectively facilitate their learning process.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong project management skills.
• A firm understanding of Lean Manufacturing concepts and disciplines.
• A firm understanding of regulatory and GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) requirements, especially pertaining to training, quality records and process control.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.