Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 200415
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and
decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
The Company designs and manufactures highly complex robotic machines for use in minimally invasive surgical applications. These master-slave tele-robotic systems consist of several multi- degree-of-freedom robotic manipulators that are used to measure motion inputs from the surgeon and to maneuver surgical instruments. Real-time stereoscopic vision is provided through an endoscopic vision system. Pre-operative and intraoperative medical imaging modalities also provide valuable information about the disease that could be effectively used during surgical operations.
Primary Function of Position:
The Manager, Medical Research primarily serves a strategic and research function in the company by assessing current and future research as well as growth needs, The role may participate in the development of patent applications. This position interfaces with various departments and serves as an internal consultant, investigating the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions and products to solve clinical problems.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility for:
Research and Strategic Coordination
• Assists in guiding the company’s clinical research strategy.• Performing analyses of areas for potential growth and for areas of competitive threats• Evaluate new clinical procedures using existing and prototype robotic systems
• Identifying and working with thought leaders in key clinical and technical areas• Identifying and facilitating relationships with clinical researchers and companies with high potential for synergistic technologies• Representing Intuitive Surgical in Industry, Medical Society and Government meetings
Provide technical and clinical expertise as needed to various functions within the company including:
• Applied Research - Work to identify and evaluate new technologies for incorporation into robotic surgical platforms to expand system capabilities• Medical Research - Evaluate clinical potential for new technologies, through clinical and laboratory testing and evaluation in animate and inanimate models• New Business Development – Provide clinical and technical guidance when evaluating new business opportunities
• Keep the organization’s vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action• Perform other duties as required to support the company's overall strategy and goals
In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must have:
• Degree in Biomedical Engineering or a related discipline. MD or PhD preferred• 4-5 years of experience in the medical device industry desired• Experience working with surgeons in an operating room environment• Surgical experience and skills a plus• Fluent in surgical terminology and sound practical knowledge of anatomy/surgery• Excellent teamwork skills with proven ability to collaborate across multiple disciplines to ensure product success and ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority.• Experience with managing collaborative technology development efforts between companies or between industry and academia• Experience with evaluating early stage technology• Self-starter needing minimal supervision• Self-confident and able to react quickly under pressure• Ability to travel up to 25%, international and domestic• Proven ability to lead diverse and cross functional teams• Ability to analyze literature critically• Excellent presentation skills• Excellent analytic skills