Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 200204
Joining Intuitive means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical outcomes and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position
The Clinical Development Engineer uses their in-depth knowledge of the surgical environment and medical technology to work with engineers and clinicians to define, develop, and validate the clinical function of new products within robotic platforms. They help develop a variety of products, including robotic systems, visualization platforms, surgical instruments, and accessories that ultimately improve patient outcomes. Their primary focus is to establish a product’s clinical requirements, assess clinical risk, and validate that the products address them. They also help monitor the clinical needs and opportunities in the market.
Roles and Responsibilities
Qualifications• Apply in-depth knowledge of the operating room environment and of medical technology to become an expert within the company on the use of Intuitive’s products• Provide a clinical voice to product development by defining and assessing clinical performance of new products• Collaborate with marketing partners and clinicians to identify and understand clinical needs and conduct assessments of prototype designs• Use an analytical approach to identify potential product enhancements and new product ideas• Take an active role in new product development teams, including contributing to design reviews, and providing design guidance to engineering design teams• Identify and document clinical product requirements• Assess and document clinical risks, and identify appropriate mitigations• Write protocols and conduct formal testing to validate the safety and efficacy of new products• Support regulatory documentation and submissions• Provide subject matter expertise to user manual and training documentation development• Support clinical evaluation of new products at key customer sites• Maintain current knowledge of clinical applications of Intuitive’s products• Keep Intuitive’s vision and values at the forefront of decision making• Perform other duties as required to support the company’s overall strategy and goals
Skills and Job Requirements
• Minimum of B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or similar
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in medical device industry
• Experience working with surgeons in an operating room environment
• Fluent in surgical terminology and sound knowledge of anatomy and surgical technique
• Excellent mechanical aptitude and intuition for spatial relations, including the ability to understand complex mechanical products
• Excellent analytical capability and practical skills to develop test methods and draw conclusions
• Excellent teamwork skills with proven ability to cultivate collaboration across multiple disciplines
• Effective communication skills (verbal, written, presentation)
• Proven success recognizing critical issues and driving them to closure by taking coordinated action
• Self-starter needing minimal supervision
• Self-confident and able to react quickly under pressure
• Ability to travel up to 25% of the time, internationally and domestic
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.