Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 200104
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly complex mechanical systems for use in surgery. The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for developing, documenting, and validating new product designs, as well as improving existing designs to meet the needs of our customers.
- Design components and assemblies for surgical systems
- Analyze and test product designs.
- Investigate clinical requirements
- Create product functional and design specifications
- Create product architectures
- Create proof of concept prototypes to demonstrate concept potential
- Analyze and test product designs
- Develop vendors to manufacture components
- Develop initial fixtures and processes to assemble components
- Develop product assembly instructions
- Develop and perform component verification testing and product validation testing
- Support production of final product by troubleshooting process and component problems
- Provide engineering support to Manufacturing, Materials, Test Engineering, and Service to facilitate transfer of designs.
- Develop Design History Files per FDA requirements
- BSME required, MSME preferred
- Minimum 15 years experience designing commercial mechanical products, opto-mechanical and thermal solution experience desired
- Proficiency using CAD to design mechanisms and intricate assemblies; ProE and/or SolidWorks preferred
- Hands-on engineering with the proven ability to work well in a team environment
- Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, transfer, and sustaining
- Works independently, self-driven
- Strength in design analysis and testing
- Good communication and documentation skills
- Hands-on, Comfortable operating machine shop equipment
- Strong understanding of component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability
- Prefer medical product experience
- Prefer electro mechanical experience
- Process development and assembly instructions
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.