Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 192949
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
The Human Factors Engineer conducts user research and usability testing of Intuitive digital products and services prior to launch. In the role of user research, the HF engineer provides the New Product Development group with in-depth analysis of the user and existing product use. In the role of usability tester, the HF engineer ensures new products are safe, easy to use, and easy to learn by analyzing risks, and developing and executing Human Factors testing.
The Human Factors Engineer works closely with Interaction Designers, Clinical Engineers, Technical Product Managers, Marketing and Leadership, to inform and guide development of new products.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Collect and synthesize detailed information about how users interact with Intuitive’s products through various techniques including interviews, simulations, direct observation at hospitals, task analysis, and persona development.
• Present results of field observations, research, and usability testing to the New Product Development organization.
• Contribute to user interface designs by providing guidance, ideas, and feedback to Interaction Designers and developers.
• Studies the environment of use to provide guidance, ideas, and feedback regarding the appropriate form factor for the digital solution(s).
• Synthesize large amounts of information to discover the most relevant information to highlight to improve performance.
• Analyze complaints from on-market products for usability-related issues.
• Support the design, execution, and reporting on usability (human factors) tests at various stages of product development from early prototypes all the way through formal FDA mandated validation testing.
• Work with cross functional teams to create and maintain usability risk analyses and user interface requirements for Intuitive’s products.
• Maintain traces between use risks, mitigations, and validation test cases.
• Reinforce a human centered design approach across the organization.
• Represent the Human Factors function on core teams for small to medium sized projects.
• Keep abreast of regulations and best practices for medical device human factors (e.g. IEC 62366, AAMI HE75, FDA Applying Human Factors and Usability Engineering to Medical Devices).
• BS or MS in Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive Psychology, Computer Science with human-computer interface (HCI) emphasis, Human Centered Design, or related field.
• 5+ years relevant HF experience in industry
• Experience in health care, health tech, clinical informatics, or medical device/similar regulated industry, a significant plus
• Superior ability to empathize with people and to understand the human condition
• Ability to interface with customers in a highly professional manner
• Excellent communication (verbal, written, and formal presentation) and collaboration skills
• Ability to analyze and synthesize large quantities of information into usable communications
• Ability to work with and across various groups and levels of management within the organization, including other engineering groups, marketing, clinical engineering, and regulatory
• Ability to apply user-centered design and usability engineering principles to product research, development, and design
• Ability to travel internationally as well as domestically (up to 25%)
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.