Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior NPI Buyer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190843
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Responsible for procuring materials, components, and equipment and for project materials management in support of NPI (New Products Introduction) builds. Gathers quotations, understands key supplier capabilities and matches those capabilities to new designs and project schedules. Tracks and updates orders, delivery commitments and inventory receipts both inside and outside of MRP. Insures adequate supply in place for production ramp-up of new products. Works in collaboration with Supply Chain Management to insure the appropriate supplier strategy is being utilized in time for new product release to production purchasing.
Determines material requirements from engineering and New Product build schedules, and maintains inventory at planned levels. Evaluates supplier reliability and works with Supplier Development Engineering and Supply Chain Management to develop new supply sources as needed. Monitors cost, schedule, and scope of assigned NPI projects. Insures new products are ready from a materials standpoint for production release in time to meet project schedules. Works as a key member of a high performance team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Use thorough forecasting and proper planning techniques to ensure that optimal inventory levels of commodities are maintained to meet engineering and production ramp up requirements.• Apply extensive new product introduction/R&D purchasing experience to minimize material lead times and insure on time delivery of material to support NPI project schedules.• Work with engineering to assist suppliers in developing efficient fabrication processes.• Identify second sources for critical components as necessary• Participate in the continuous improvement of current systems and processes.• Work with Supply Chain Management to identify and qualify new supplier resources.• Identify potential supplier capacity issues to Supply Chain Management. Work with Supply Chain Management to resolve these issues and to insure no impact on project schedules.• Create, update, and publish project material cost models.• Quickly and proactively resolve and/or escalate issues related to delivery, supplier performance, quality or cost.• Insure and maintain accuracy of all applicable reports, PO’s, component item master information, etc. Work with engineering and production control to insure BOMs are accurate and will function in a production environment.• Provide direction and/or effectively delegate critical tasks as needed. Be a functional, productive member of a high performance team.
• 7-10 years experience in materials/purchasing of which minimum 5 years is direct experience in purchasing in New Product Introduction (NPI), R&D, and/or engineering support environments with a demonstrated successful track record of increasing responsibility.
• BS in business, mechanical, or electrical engineering or equivalent education/experience. Masters Degree and C.P.M. is Preferred.
• Must have significant computer experience using Windows, Word, Excel (advanced skills preferred) and ERP Information Systems, preferably SAP and Agile.
• MS Office skills ( MS Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel)
• Excel (Vlookups, Pivot Tables, Charts, and filtering)
• Experience working with engineers and manufacturing resources for prototype parts procurement, pilot activities and production launch of new products.
• Ability to enjoy and work effectively in a fast paced environment of constant change. Ability to manage change quickly and gracefully.
• Experience with and a functional understanding of the manufacturing processes utilized by the suppliers of mechanical components (precision machining, sheet metal, plastic injection molding, metal injection molding, and other plastics processes, etc), contract manufacturing, OEM, cables, PCA, etc.
• Familiar with project management techniques for new product introduction.
• ECO implementation experience required.
• Familiarity with contract and cost negotiation techniques.
• Excellent oral (speaking) and written communication skills a must. Ability to communicate at both high (strategic) and detailed (tactical) levels and the ability to know when one or the other is appropriate. Diplomacy and “grace under fire” a must.
• Detail oriented with demonstrated ability to pro-actively follow-up on areas of responsibility in a timely manner.
• Ability to perform repetitive computer data entry and place phone calls throughout the work day.
• Ability to read and have a basic understanding of engineering drawings.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.