Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Interaction Designer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190823
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority. The da Vinci system pushes the frontier of human-machine interaction by fusing many technologies into a core product experience – technologies such as 3D immersive vision, real-time haptic interfaces and robotic manipulators.
Interaction Design is a key role at Intuitive Surgical, with responsibilities that cut across multiple technical disciplines to create products that make the experience of using technically complex surgical devices safe, easy to learn, and confidence-inspiring. Interaction designers provide first-hand knowledge of user interaction with our products, develop and prototype new user interface concepts, and perform evaluations to quickly iterate and converge on designs that are safe and delight our users.
Within the Product Design team, the Senior Interaction Designer at Intuitive works collaboratively with engineering teams to help develop new products in the da Vinci product line, including robotic systems, instruments and accessories. The Senior Interaction Designer is expected to design compelling solutions for complex design challenges, often extending across multiple touchpoints. Our products include physical and digital interfaces, and include 2d and 3d (AR/VR) space.
Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Design world class physical and digital interfaces. Maintain superior design standards and methods from brainstorming through prototyping and implementation. Ensure a thorough understanding of the problems being solved by working with the clinical engineering, product managers and the engineering team.Qualifications
2. Participate in and contribute to user research activities. Collaborate with user-research teams to synthesize key insights from observation and formative evaluations and report them back to the product development team.
3. Contribute to the visual language of the product. The candidate will collaborate with visual designers to produce delightful experiences.
4. Contribute to design documentation, risk analysis and testing. Write specifications that communicate design intent to engineering and that can be verified by testing. In collaboration with Human Factors Engineers, analyze designs for safety risks in light of potential use errors, and design mitigations for those risks. Participate in the validation of product usability through informal and formal testing with representative users.
• Five years of experience in product design (in-house, agency, or freelance)
• Preference for Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, in a design-related field, e.g., Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Product Design
• Experience bringing a product or products to market that contain complex user interactions, ideally products with physical interactions that are not solely web or mobile interface.
• Proficient in the use of current design tools and software applications for design and prototyping
• Possess a strong aesthetic sense and some artistic skill in addition to superior technical competence
• Passionate for delivering the best possible experience to the user
• Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.