Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior New Product Introduction Manufacturing Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190798
Intuitive Surgical: What Matters
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
A Senior NPI manufacturing engineer develops laser-welding processes for New Product Introductions (NPI) and New Product Development (NPD) teams to support improvements, modifications and further deployment of sustained production lines of Catheter products.
The position participates in product development teams that specify, build, test and challenge new product designs to improve efficacy, reliability, serviceability, manufacturability and cost. This position requires high technical competence along with being a team player, self-starter, and possessing a can-do attitude.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Design, document, qualify and introduce laser welding processes.
• Design, document, assemble, qualify and introduce laser welding assembly/test/inspection fixtures and equipment.
• Strong CAD skillset with vision for electro-mechanical fixtures design and implementation.
• Takes ownership of new projects during pilot production phase through successful and sustained project launch.
• Provides product and process DFM (Design for Manufacturing) input to Product Development Engineering to enhance manufacturability and product cost.
• Uses the Agile ACCS creating and modifying BOM’s, Travelers, EFTs and MPIs including ECO/NCO/MCO writing, reviewing and implementation.
• Provides training and support to production technicians.
• Responsible for maintaining compliance with medical device quality system requirements including corrective/preventive action closure, discrepant material dispositions (VR’s PL’s and EE’s).
• Provides technical support analyzing and/or performing failure analysis for discrepant production components, assemblies and field returns.
• Leads/participates in continuous improvement initiatives focused on material cost reduction, capacity enhancement, and streamlining of supply chain.
• Must possess strong communication skills to interface with technicians, product development, planning, purchasing, regulatory, inspection, clinical marketing organizations, and suppliers.
• Mentors and sets project tasks for Mfg Engineers on their specific project team and on other teams as needed to further company expertise & effectiveness.
• Supports, maintains, improves modifies and further develops the manufacturing line as needed for sustaining production.
• Other reasonable assigned duties.
• 4 yr. degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
• Minimum 8 years of experience as Laser Process Engineering (MSME with 5 years also considered).
• Demonstrated knowledge of laser parameters such as power, pulse energy
• Demonstrated knowledge of laser material interactions such as heat affected zone, ablation, spot size
• Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical assembly, testing, and inspection processes and Lean principles.
• Solid modeling/CAD experience (SolidWorks preferred).
• Strong problem solving ability, including demonstrated ability to effectively design, execute, report on, and draw conclusions from experiments.
• Excellent communication, organization, follow-up and documentation skills.
• Comfortable interacting with technicians, engineers, and management all on a regular basis.
• Strong technical skills in prototyping, tooling development and troubleshooting.
• ISO9001 or experience in medical device manufacturing environment.
• Specific supplier manufacturing knowhow depends on the specific area assigned.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.