Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Connecticut-US-CT-Milford
Requisition ID: 190734
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly complex mechanical systems for use in surgery. These systems include both capital equipment and “consumables” in the form of surgical instruments and accessories. The Senior Mechanical Engineer for Instrument and Accessory Advanced Product Development will be a member of a small team responsible for exploring and developing early product concepts and technologies that will help feed the da Vinci product pipeline. The successful candidate will lead the design, sourcing, development, and integration of novel mechanical and mechatronic concepts for instrument and accessory related products.
The candidate will help to identify and evaluate new technologies, establish design requirements to meet customer needs, work with suppliers and other outside companies to realize viable technical solutions, and refine designs for transfer to the New Product Development organization for commercialization. He or she must excel in a high-energy team environment and be capable of creative problem solving when faced with the time pressures and incomplete information typical of early stage product development. The successful candidate must have outstanding technical depth in relevant areas, and be as comfortable collaborating and leading across organizational boundaries as they are working independently.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work with subject matter experts to understand the clinical, usability, and other needs of users of da Vinci systems as they relate to surgical instruments and accessories.Qualifications
• Develop technical requirements for designs based on an understanding of user needs.
• Perform conceptual design, detailed design, analytical modeling, prototyping, and troubleshooting of novel instruments and accessories for the da Vinci robotic surgical system.
• Develop and perform early performance testing, with assistance from other functions as needed.
• Assist with clinical evaluation of prototypes by supporting ex-vivo and in-vivo laboratory testing.
• Identify, test, and report on new materials, manufacturing processes, and technologies that could benefit existing products or enable new product designs.
• Develop and manage relationships with key suppliers.
• Provide written protocols, reports, and presentations related to design activities on an ongoing basis.
• Document, prepare and review patent submissions.
• Review mechanical engineering designs of other engineers in both a formal and informal capacity.
• Refine and document product designs as needed to support successful transfer into the new product development organization.
• Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills. Ability to present the work completed on his or her projects effectively
• Ability to interface with customers and potential business partners in a highly professional manner
• BS (Mechanical Engineering or related engineering field) required, MS or PhD preferred.
• Minimum five (5) years of experience taking products from concept to production (medical product experience preferred).
• At least eight (8) years of experience with precision mechanical design.
• Familiarity with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer.
• Understanding of mechatronics, robotics, and servo-controlled systems strongly preferred. Experience developing software control algorithms a plus.
• Proven ability to apply the basic laws of physics to understand and achieve quick and reliable solutions to engineering problems.
• Exceptional mechanical aptitude and visual thinking skills.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills such as finite element analysis, statistics, and experimental designs.
• Experience and skills in design of high volume (e.g. injection molded, MIM) components.
• Strong understanding of design for reliability and manufacturability.
• Proven ability to work well in a team environment and drive individual projects. Experience managing suppliers and small projects.
• Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanical designs. SolidWorks preferred.
• Comfortable with hands-on development work:
o Comfort operating standard machine shop equipment for prototyping (mill, lathe, etc.).o Proficient with techniques for rapidly fabricating proof-of-concept and functional prototypes.o Comfortable with standard mechanical and electrical measurement and test equipment.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.