Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Electrical Engineer-Vision Engineering
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190645
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical, Inc. produces the da Vinci® Surgical System, a minimally invasive robotic surgery system that uses complex mechanics, replaceable instruments and accessories, and enhanced three-dimensional visualization to extend surgical technique and precision beyond the limits of the human hand.
This is a unique role that requires all areas of engineering: design, analysis, test, failure analysis, implementation. The Vision Systems Electrical Engineer will provide engineering design, test, and troubleshooting skills for the complex vision systems of Intuitive Surgical’s endoscopes and vision processing systems. This is an opportunity to use design, test, analysis, and data mining skills in new product as well as product in the field. The successful candidate will have both the technical depth to resolve complex electrical design and manufacturing issues and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team to troubleshoot higher level system issues. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required as well as a commitment to high product quality.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work in cross-functional project teams to improve product reliability including
o Investigate and determine root causes of both latent and emerging designso Work with Failure Analysis teams to determine failures in the fieldo Work with New Product teams regarding electrical design of new productso Work with Supplier Engineering regarding supplier and material continuityo Work with Manufacturing teams regarding building new product
• B.S. in electrical engineering or related field required with 6 or more years of experience in analog, digital, and power circuitry
• Familiarity with various communication protocols includes I2C, UART, and SPI
• Schematic capture is a must (ORCAD)
• PCB layout is a nice-to-have
• Experience designing for signal integrity
• Experience with opto-mechanical and electro-mechanical devices is a strong plus
• Experience in the medical industry is a strong plus
• Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer to Manufacturing
• Hands-on engineer with the proven ability to work well in a team environment
• Comfortable with setting up experiments, selecting, and using measurement and test equipment
• Strong understanding of component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability
• Proficient in process development and documentation
• Ability to travel up to 10% time
• Proven experience in a fast paced, high transaction environment
• Good presentation skills and comfortable with hosting design reviews
• A real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems
• A passion for creating robust and reliable products
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.