Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Director, Interaction Design – Digital Solutions
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190642
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Intuitive is the industry pioneer and leader in robotic-assisted surgical systems. Our da Vinci Surgical System is an advanced platform for minimally invasive surgery that has touched the lives of more than five million patients worldwide. Our system acts as a natural extension of a surgeon’s eyes and hands through a combination of cutting-edge robotics, immersive 3D stereoscopic vision, and intuitive human-interface controls. Over the past two decades, this revolutionary technology has brought about a new era in minimally invasive surgery.
Intuitive is looking for a Senior Director - Interaction Design to join our Design team.
The Senior Director of Interaction Design will be a key leader to help drive software based digital experiences across our growing porfolio of products. This position will work closely with cross-functional teams to design digital experiences that enhance the user experience and reinforce the Intuitive brand values.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for well-designed products that are user focused, technology based and relevant to the medical device industry. This candidate will have proven experience leading and developing a team in a corporate context and be willing to roll up his/her sleeves to deliver best-in-class products and experiences. This is a leadership role that requires strong professional communication & presentation skills and the ability and the ability to drive design and delivery of great products in a structured process. The organization’s culture is fast-paced with a focus on collaboration and teamwork and we are seeking someone who can not only be comfortable in that environment but also help expand and improve it.
The Senior Director - Interaction Design will oversee the design and implementation of digital interfaces across the Intuitive product portfolio. He/she will be responsible for working with the industrial design, human factors engineering, design engineering, clinical engineering, marketing, sales and product support teams to define a consistent and high quality user experience for the da Vinci and Ion product lines. As a member of the team that develops products for the medical device industry you will be expected to participate in the validation through informal and formal testing with representative users. The primary focus is to ensure industry leading apps and software tools reflecting a high level of ease of use and ease of learning.
ROLES / RESPONSIBILITIES
Qualifications• Lead user experience and interaction strategy/design for our emerging portfolio for all digital products.• Develop information architecture, site maps, wireframes and workflows for all user-facing digital products to create solutions to complex interface and interaction design challenges• Collaborate deeply with the Human Factors team to take Behavior Specifications developed by HF and drive them into presentation layer look/feel/navigation• Establish group objectives and individual work goals consistent with overall product development goals.• Assign tasks, set priorities, establish metrics and track progress. Assess employee performance and provide coaching to improve performance. Document, communicate, and pursue intellectual property.• Effectively act on internal feedback, user testing results and learnings to iterate designs that deliver more value for the user and business
SKILLS / JOB REQUIREMENTS
• 10+ years’experience in corporate interaction design. Minimum 8+ year’s experience in a corporate interaction design leadership role
• Master’s degree, in Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction or Cognitive Engineering. Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design, Graphic Design or Information Architecture a must
• Strong mobile experience a must. Proven ability in the design of presentation layer look and feel for apps and other software based solutions
• Excellent teamwork skills with proven ability to collaborate across multiple disciplines; strong people management abilities with ability to insure team success.
• Exceptional leadership skills; proven ability to inspire, motivate and provide professional development of mid to large size teams
• Passionate for delivering the best possible experience to the user. Strong knowledge of trends and best practices in branded user experience design, understanding of interface guidelines and app frameworks
• Expert in developing wireframes, design patterns, user journeys, and interactive tools and charts.
• Expert in documenting work including annotations, prototypes, functional specifications
• Skilled in prototyping with one or more tools such as Framer, Proto.io, Flinto, or InVision
• Ability to travel up to 20% of the time.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.