Intuitive Surgical Careers
Manager, Equipment Engineering
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190562
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
The Automation, Equipment, and Test (AET) Group is responsible for making the robots that make the robots. We develop and maintain the equipment, fixtures, and tooling that enable, optimize, and streamline the manufacturing process for Intuitive’s Instruments and Accessories business unit.
Primary Function of Position:
Lead efforts within the Automation, Equipment, and Test Group to ensure that Intuitive consistently meets customer demand and product quality requirements by planning and executing projects to build, order, bring up, and qualify manufacturing equipment and automation systems. Expertise with custom equipment design and construction best practices will be leveraged to ensure that the manufacturing equipment is scalable and supportable in a high-volume, high up-time, multi-national manufacturing environment. Success in this role will depend on the ability to manage numerous concurrent complex projects while maintaining the highest possible quality standards.
This management role will involve proposing, specifying, and managing projects performed by contractors and vendors, as well as managing engineers and technicians within the AET group in the documentation, fabrication, bring-up, and qualification of sophisticated automated manufacturing equipment, including electro-mechanical production equipment, test equipment, data acquisition systems, tooling, and fixtures. Successful execution of these responsibilities will facilitate the achievement of quality, capacity, and cost goals for ISI’s manufacturing operations. The ideal candidate will have experience achieving results through others, managing a wide range of complex project teams, and developing complex industrial automation.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Efficiently plan, manage, and execute projects that enable Intuitive to satisfy rapidly-growing demand for Instruments & Accessories products.Qualifications
• Ensure manufacturing equipment designs meet functional, safety, ergonomic, and documentation requirements, to facilitate efficient production operation across Intuitive’s US-based and international sites.
• Manage the Technical Services Group, a team of engineering technicians and associate engineers responsible for providing technical support to the Automation, Equipment, and Test group.
• Develop the supply chain for outsourced manufacturing equipment.
• Manage resources outside of Intuitive Surgical (partners, contractors, vendors) in the specification, planning, and execution of projects involving complex production equipment.
• Effectively manage resources across various programs to ensure the achievement of technical and schedule objectives.
• Advocate techniques for world-class manufacturing and test equipment design for reliability, manufacturability, assembly, and serviceability.
• Drive product and equipment cost reductions through the continuous improvement of manufacturing equipment.
• Improve product quality and reliability using Six Sigma, Cpk, Gauge R&R, and similar quality tools.
• BS Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Controls Engineering or similar; advanced degree preferred.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience creating and managing high-performing teams, preferably in the development, production, and support of automated equipment for the assembly of mechanical products. Medical device industry experience is a plus.
• Proven leadership skills – ability to energize and empower a team and unite them in a common goal.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills.
• Project management or similar leadership experience.
• Ability to distill complex ideas into a clear vision.
• Good system-level comprehension and issues identification skills.
• Strong technical and analytical skills, including machine design, electrical system design, FMEA, tolerance analysis, and statistical methods.
• Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
• Strong understanding of NFPA 79, NFPA 70E, and Cal-OSHA safety standards.
• Self-starter, capable of defining requirements and implementing them with little or no help.
• Experience with Agile, SAP, JIRA, and/or MKS Integrity.
• Track record developing high quality, reliable manufacturing equipment.
• Quality Systems experience, preferably in a medical device environment.
• CAD expertise and experience managing CAD users, SolidWorks preferred.
• Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel requirements will be approximately 10%.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.