Intuitive Surgical Careers
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190433
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
This position is responsible for control and safety algorithms required to support new instruments and accessories on the daVinci Surgical System. Skills required will include robot kinematics, control systems, and a solid understanding of electro-mechanical systems.
You will be responsible for the teleoperated motion and force fidelity of new surgical instruments, and integration of new accessories with the robot. This will involve:
• working closely with the clinical development team to understand requirements for instruments and accessories performance;• using analysis and experimentation to develop a deep understanding of the behavior and limitations of the mechanism;• working closely with the mechanical design team to optimize the mechanism for performance and safety;• modifying and tuning the algorithms that will control the behavior of the mechanism.
You will also be responsible for software implementation of any new features, such as extending a cutter, or forming staples.
You will be responsible for risk analysis, and implementation of safety algorithms. You will be responsible for documentation of risks, requirements, and test protocols in order to support requests for approval by regulatory agencies such as the FDA.
You will be responsible for working with the manufacturing team to develop automated fixtures for calibrating, testing, and aiding assembly of the instrument. You will be responsible for setting manufacturing test specifications that will ensure mechanical performance.
You are expected to have a breadth of technical knowledge that enables a top-level view of the entire project. Using this perspective, you will act as an interface between the various technical specialties. You are expected to take ownership of issues that cross disciplinary boundaries, and use your broad skillset to ensure the success of the project.
• PhD (preferred), or MS with equivalent experience, in robotics-related field.
• Demonstrate intuitive understanding of electro-mechanical phenomena with ability to do rigorous analysis.
• C/C++ and Matlab programming skills, as well as hardware, software, and mechanism integration skills. Knowledge of Python would be a plus.
• Knowledge of classical and modern servo control systems.
• Knowledge of serial-arm robot kinematics.
• Knowledge of statistics is a plus.
• Knowledge of electrical and mechanical design principles and CAD tools is a plus.
• Demonstrate excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
• Have the ability to work independently, and the determination to get through challenging problems.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.