Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Software Engineer (Video)
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190359
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Contribute broadly to the Video Software Engineering Group, responsible for the embedded software controlling the real-time, high-definition, stereo video processing, graphics, and compositing engine at the heart of the da Vinci™ Surgical System. The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy, focused, small-team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required.
As part of the design team, immediate responsibilities include:
• Bring-up and integration of new high-performance cameras and image-sensors; camera pipeline and illumination control, to deliver real-time, high-definition, stereo surgical video with the best possible image quality.• Display pipeline control, user interface framework development, and real-time/low-latency graphics generation, to help build the streamlined surgeon’s cockpit “head’s up” interface-of-the-future.• Design and development of product-focused rock-solid embedded software in a heterogeneous, multi-processor SoC/FPGA/embedded-Linux environment.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Working on a cross-functional team at multiple levels, from architectural definition to driver-level implementation.• Contributing to multiple areas of software development, including but not limited to the following:
o control and monitoring of endoscopes, camera pipeline processing, and illumination hardwareo control and monitoring of multi-input/multi-output, display pipeline processing, graphics, and compositing hardwareo extension of current processing frameworks to new processors and hardware designso design and development of offline hardware simulation environments to facilitate rapid software development and testo hardware / software diagnostic-tool design and development
Qualifications• Detailed design, development, and verification of embedded software for da Vinci™ Surgical System products• Helping to perform formal risk analysis and develop software mitigations• Documenting according to Intuitive's development guidelines
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.) In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must:
• Bachelor's or Master's degree (Master's degree preferred), with minimum five (5) years of industry experience in developing embedded systems
• Experience in developing embedded software for imaging, e.g., sensors, cameras, video/graphics hardware, image-processing, is ideal
• Experience in developing for embedded Linux at multiple levels (hardware bring-up, driver, application) is ideal
• Experience with user-interface frameworks, graphics APIs, and GPU computing (e.g., Qt, OpenGL, CUDA) is ideal
• Experience with machine-learning/machine-vision algorithms for real-time image/video analysis is a plus.
• Demonstrated experience and comfort with all phases of the product development lifecycle, including design, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to manufacturing
• Experience with designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications is a plus; comfort with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis is a plus.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.