Intuitive Surgical Careers
Mechanical Design Engineer - Advanced Energy Instruments
Primary Location: United States-Connecticut-US-CT-Milford
Requisition ID: 190298
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical, Inc. produces the da Vinci® Surgical System, a minimally invasive robotic surgery system that uses highly complex mechanics, replaceable instruments and accessories, and enhanced three-dimensional visualization to extend surgical technique and precision beyond the limits of the human hand.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will help develop new Advanced Energy instruments while addressing performance, cost, and reliability requirements and completing the development, documentation, and verification of those designs. The successful candidate will have both the technical depth to resolve complex mechanical, materials and manufacturing design issues and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team to troubleshoot to root cause higher level system issues. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required as well as a commitment to high product quality.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work in cross-functional project teams to design, develop and verify designs for advanced energy surgical instruments.
o Develop, implement, test and document new solutions, processes and designs according to corporate standards, departmental operating procedures, sound engineering principles and within scheduleso Perform tests, critically analyze results and make design changes or recommendations to the design teamo Investigate and determine root cause of emerging design, manufacturing or material defectso Create functional requirements, risk analyses, part drawings and provide supporting engineering analysiso Perform statistical analysis on simple or complex data sets
• Establish individual goals consistent with overall project goals
• BSME required, MSME preferred. 0-3 years of experience designing commercial mechanical products or related experience. Experience with small mechanism design, plastics, and/or disposable medical products are a strong plus
• Proficiency using CAD to design and document components and mechanisms; SolidWorks preferred
• Hands-on engineering with ability to work well in a team environment
• Excellent written and communication skills.
• Ability to create controlling medical device documentation such as design specifications, test protocols and reports or analogous required. Candidate should feel comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
• Knowledge of component manufacturing processes
• Knowledge of safe and effective use of RF energy in medical devices
• Knowledge of engineering statistics
• Ability to travel up to 20% time
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.