Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Mechnical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190287
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical, Inc. produces the da Vinci® Surgical System, a minimally invasive robotic surgery system that uses highly complex mechanics, replaceable instruments and accessories, and enhanced three-dimensional visualization to extend surgical technique and precision beyond the limits of the human hand.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will help develop new flexible instruments and accessories while addressing performance, cost, and reliability requirements and complete the development, documentation, and verification of those designs. The successful candidate will have both the technical depth to resolve complex mechanical, materials and manufacturing design issues and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team to troubleshoot to root cause higher level system issues. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required as well as a commitment to high product quality.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work in cross-functional project teams to design, develop and verify designs for flexible surgical instruments and accessories.
o Develop, implement, test and document new solutions, processes and designs according to corporate standard and departmental operating procedureso Design and develop fixturing to aid in testing and/or assembly of instrumentso Perform tests, critically analyze results and make design changes or recommendations to the design teamo Investigate and determine root cause of emerging design, manufacturing or material defectso Ability to conceptualize clinical needs into instrument solutions. Solutions may require new processes and new capabilities.
• Establish individual goals consistent with overall project goalsQualifications
• Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or related engineering or scientific discipline required, preferably MS or greater.
• Minimum 8 years of experience developing commercial medical products. Experience with plastics, plastics molding, testing, process equipment, adhesives, and/or disposable medical products are a strong plus
• Experience with electronics and software
• Course work or experience with mechatronics a plus
• Experience with fixtures and simple levels of manufacturing automation a plus
• Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms; SolidWorks preferred
• Hands-on engineering with ability to work well in a team environment
• Excellent written and communication skills.
• Able to understand releasing controlled medical device documentation such as design specifications, test reports or analogous required. Candidate should feel comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
• Knowledge of component manufacturing processes
• Proficient at process development and creation of assembly instructions
• Ability to travel up to 10% time
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.