Intuitive Surgical Careers
Manufacturing Engineer - Blacksburg
Primary Location: United States-Virginia-US-VA-Blacksburg
Requisition ID: 190273
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Contribute your technical manufacturing and equipment design skills to a dynamic development and manufacturing team that creates sensing platforms for minimally invasive robotic surgery. The role requires active participation in new product development teams that create and refine electro-mechanical components, assemblies, process documentation, tooling and test methods while challenging new product designs to improve efficacy, reliability, manufacturability and cost for robotic surgical instruments.
The candidate must be able to coordinate their efforts with the development and manufacturing teams, and be able to report progress and milestones relative to the overall project. He or she must excel in a high-energy team environment and be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures and incomplete information typical of new product development and early stage manufacturing environments.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Create, maintain and improve “low to mid-volume” manufacturing lines, specifying and/or refining BOMs, work flow processes, manufacturing plan and detailed work instructions.• Design, document, procure, qualify, implement, and improve fixtures, tools and equipment.• Analyze manufacturing line from a risk perspective (PFMEA) to incorporate and validate critical tests used in manufacturing.• Responsible for the validation and qualification of manufacturing equipment and processes leveraging standard qualification approaches (IQ/OQ/PQ).• Provide production support of sustaining and startup manufacturing lines.• Conduct testing of software releases before deploying on manufacturing line• Identify and implement continuous improvement projects with respect to first pass yield, cycle time reduction, product reliability, capacity enhancement and cost reduction.• Provide product and process Design for Manufacturability and Design for Assembly input to enhance manufacturability of new products.• Take responsibility for maintaining compliance with medical device quality system including corrective action closure, discrepant material dispositions and ECO implementation.• Provides technical support analyzing and /or performing failure analysis for discrepant production components, assemblies and field returns.• Maintain all documentation associated with the manufacturing line.• Conduct SAP transactions relevant to manufacturing operations.• Provide technician training and oversee specified manufacturing stations to ensure quality.
• BS/MS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Electrical Engineering or Industrial Systems Engineering.
• More than 5 years of experience as design or manufacturing engineer supporting product with significant mechanical, electromechanical, or electro optical content.
• Must possess strong communication skills to interface with technicians, product development, planning, purchasing, regulatory, inspection, customer support and clinical marketing teams.
• Prior responsibility for process, equipment or product validation/verification.
• Prior experience with complex device manufacturing is a plus
• New product introduction/development desirable
• CAD experience (preferred Solidworks).
• Previous experience with ERP systems (preferred SAP) is a plus
• Programming skills is a plus
• Experience in an ISO 13485, ISO 9001, or medical device manufacturing environment a plus
• Occasional travel to the other ISI offices will be required
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.