Intuitive Surgical Careers
Equipment Test Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190257
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Impact of this role:
In this position, you will make significant contributions to how the daVinci Robot is built and tested. You will analyze assembly and test processes to identify opportunities for improving the quality and productivity of the manufacturing line. You will be responsible for continuous improvements to existing test and assembly fixtures, and for development of new equipment, tooling and testers.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The ideal candidate will have experience developing custom automated equipment from design, through fabrication, to sustained production use, and will have demonstrated proficiency in design and integration of electro-mechanical components, and creation of associated software code.
This position has responsibility and authority for:
• Drive continuous improvement projects in the test and equipment space to increase manufacturing yields, improve test coverage, diagnostic capability, productivity and error proofing.Qualifications
• Develop new fixtures from specification to implementation on ISI production lines or at ISI suppliers.
• Identify and develop automation of manufacturing test processes.
• Thoroughly document all aspects of the equipment, including its requirements, design, operation, and qualification in compliance with Good Manufacturing Processes (GMP).
• Perform design review of Test and Mfg equipment and tooling related to new product launches.
• Develop reports to statistically analyze test measurements and optimize pass/fail criteria.
• Determine the root cause of equipment and system test failures.
• Execute equipment design and process verification/validation activities to qualify changes to test processes or test specifications.
• Transfer functional test fixtures to contract manufacturers and support them with change implementations, training, maintenance and debug.
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.)
In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position, the individual must:
• Candidate must be of high character and energy with focused attention to detail.
• “Self-starter” attitude and comfort in a hands-on environment, where you can demonstrate an ability to work with other engineers, technicians and contract manufacturers.
• 5+ years of experience with a BS degree (or 2+ years of experience with an MS degree) developing production grade, automated test fixtures.
• Knowledge of C, Matlab, Python or other programming/scripting language.
• Prior experience with CAD, SolidWorks or other design/modeling software.
• Troubleshooting mindset - an ability to systematically and effectively break down a system or process into subparts to identify failure and its root cause.
• Aptitude/Experience in debug of complex electro-mechanical assemblies.
• Demonstrated ability to work with computers, electronics, and standard software applications.
• Excellent documentation skills and ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing across all levels of the organization.
• A real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of problems.
• BSEE, BSME, Software Engineering, Mechatronics, Mechanics (or equivalent).
• MSEE/MSME (or equivalent).
• Prior experience in PLC programming, microcontrollers, and/or Data Acquisition tools.
• Prior experience with documentation and production control systems: Agile, SAP.
• Experience in test engineering, and/or in a medical device company or other regulated business.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.