Intuitive Surgical Careers
Mechanical Design Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190246
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly-complex robotic systems for use in minimally-invasive surgical applications. Our engineering team is committed to leveraging cutting-edge research and technology to deliver innovative and high quality surgical robotics products that benefit patients.
We are seeking a candidate with exceptional machine design and analytical skills to conceptualize, develop and deliver new mechanical designs. As a Mechanical Design Engineer, your role is to utilize creativity and sound engineering judgment to design mechanisms, user touchpoints, and integrate electronics in our surgical robotics products. You will be responsible for key system components and will interface with suppliers and manufacturing to build high-quality hardware prototypes and productize new designs. You will be part of a team of talented engineers in a focused, high energy, and collaborative work environment. You should be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures, ambiguity, and incomplete information typical of research and development.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority for:
Qualifications• Working within multi-disciplinary teams to define requirements for new and current designs• Developing mechanical assemblies, with careful consideration for electronics integration, drivetrain components, sensors, actuators, safety mechanisms, and failure contingencies• Rapid development and iteration of full-scale prototypes of candidate architectures and machine designs to satisfy requirements• Designing for reliability, cost and manufacturability• Collaborating with manufacturing to create product assembly tooling, fixtures and instructions• Developing and performing component verification testing and product validation testing• Supporting production of final product by troubleshooting process and component problems• Providing engineering support to Manufacturing, Materials, Test Engineering, and Service to facilitate transfer of designs• Selecting and managing vendors from the prototype phase• Authoring concept and design documentation for a regulatory controlled environment
• BSME, or similar. Post-graduate study or equivalent work experience preferred
• Minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience with machine design and product development. Surgical product and robotics experience is a plus
• Interest in the medical applications of robotics
• Passion for details in creating robust and reliable machines designed for mission-critical applications
• Strong concept development, design analysis, hands-on prototyping, and performance and reliability testing skills
• Proficiency using 3-D CAD, analytic calculations, and numerical simulation tools to optimize designs. SolidWorks CAD experience preferred
• Proficiency designing for volume manufacturing processes, including injection molding, casting, and sheet metal
• Understanding of engineering materials, component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability
• Comfortable with the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to execute and document component and assembly changes in an automated change control system and demonstrate that the changes were made properly
• Self-driven with the ability to excel in a high-energy, small, focused team environment, to maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward, and to make work fun and interesting
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.