Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190175
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
We are seeking a Senior Embedded Software Engineer to join the Imaging and Intelligence Group at Intuitive Surgical. The Senior Embedded Software Engineer will work on products that help us invent the future of imaging-based intelligent robotic surgery. This position is primarily responsible for developing and maintaining products around embedded systems that interface with the da Vinci® platforms. This engineer will contribute to various aspects of products, including architecture design, new feature development, test facilities, and software releases. The successful candidate with exceptional embedded software development skills will have opportunities to make impact on the core software and underlying infrastructure for products, which enable state-of-the-art technologies in the area of image-guided intelligence robotic surgery. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required, as is the ability to make work fun and interesting.
• Develop technical specifications, evaluate design trade-offs, and make design decisions.Qualifications
• Prototype new ideas, test and iterate, and deliver production ready code with best industry standard.
• Develop and maintain reusable libraries as part of core software infrastructure.
• Create technical documentation about software design and architectures.
• Analyze and optimize run-time system performance at different levels of the system.
• Maintain configurations, cross-compile build chains, and continuous integration for customized Linux distributions.
• Contribute to the software development/release and continuous integration/test infrastructure.
• Contribute to the formal documentation (write, review, trace, release).
• Investigate and resolve bugs and issues reported from test and product engineering.
• Work with, and support, other teams and collaborators.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, with minimum of ten (10) years of industry experience. Master’s degree with minimum of seven (7) years of industry experienced is preferred.
• Experience with embedded Linux and RTOS is required (cross-platform experience is a plus).
• Experience with modern software design methodologies (OOP, design patterns) is required.
• Experience with SW development life cycles and repository management solutions (git and subversion) is required.
• In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with embedded software development is required.
• Strong hands-on software development skills in C/C++ are required.
• Experience with scripting languages (e.g., Python, bash) is required.
• Experience with network stacks, kernel modules, graphics cards is preferred.
• Strong ability to independently isolate and debug embedded software and hardware problems.
• Attention to details and excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Self-motivated, a flexible team player to support all aspects of SW development life cycle with the ability to define goals and work independently in the face of ambiguity and complexity.
• Experience with product lifecycle management and project management tools (e.g., JIRA) is a plus.
• Experience with development and testing of medical products that have been successfully launched to market is a plus.
• Experience with continuous integration/test infrastructure is a plus.
• Experience with cloud computing and storage platforms (AWS, GCP, etc) is a plus.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.