Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Reliability Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190168
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary function of position:
We are looking for a talented individual to join our growing Reliability Engineering team focused on innovative approaches to reliability and life testing. This role has the opportunity to work creatively with a team of mixed disciplines, including SW, FW, and HW electrical in addition to mechatronics, reliability and mechanical engineers.
The primary function of this position is to review/improve/execute current plans for automated and semi-automated system/subsystems reliability testing. This includes design, procurement and assembly of test fixtures, and SW scripts required to limit human interactions throughout the reliability tests. Other important task is to lead/support current efforts by the design team for bench testing critical components and subsystems. The successful candidate must have a strong curiosity for how the system is performing its critical functions, also must be hands on with automated control concepts and tools. He/she must be able to work with EE/FW, SW, ME, RE and mechatronics engineers to not only understand the current in-house approaches to testing but also recommend improvements that paves the way for fulfilling the new vision.
He/she must have a proven track-record of automated test fixture development for medical capital and/or consumable equipment and extreme curiosity of the unexplored or unexplained, great attention to details, no fear of incomplete/developing specification and design documents, and most importantly, a passion to learn new things.
The Senior reliability engineer will contribute to the high level strategies of the reliability team regarding testing and failure data collection and analysis. While the primary focus is the system reliability, important cases in instrument and accessories may be also covered.
The Reliability Team is currently chartered with implementation of proactive reliability approaches that could impact the new product design while still under development. The team provides vital guidance to ME, SW, FW, HW, and SA teams for data-driven design and operation decisions. The team also regularly analyzes field data from previous generation of the product to identify improvement opportunities for both legacy and future products.
• Review functional and reliability requirements of systems/subsystems to plan reliability/life tests that help evaluate the short/ long term compliance with the specs.Qualifications
• Design, procure and assemble test fixtures to limit/eliminate the need for human intervention during the tests
• Test fixture design covers the mechanical & electrical parts as well as control platforms, algorithms & SW
• Work closely with SW, IT and data team to enable automatic data collection during the system test. This includes the system logs and other critical info such as temperature, vibration, noise that may not be available directly from the system
• Modify/ develop the SW scripts necessary to run automated tests that cover the required subset of the system operational profile
• Plan interim quality and performance inspection required to verify integrity of the system/components critical functions during the test
• Work closely with quality, regulatory, and document control to properly document and release the test fixtures if used for finished products and features
• Provide regular reports on the status tests, regarding cumulative test hours, total number and nature of the failure events
• Regular triage of the failure data with the design team for full blown root cause analysis towards design improvement
• Plan and execute accelerated and highly accelerated life tests for components and subsystems, this may include critical accessories and instruments
• DOE for performance tests to help engineering design and manufacturing team with required gage R&R, variability and capability analysis
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Minimum Masters in mechanical or reliability engineering or other related engineering fields with direct work experience
• Minimum 8 years of work experience in reliability/life testing of medical capital/consumer equipment and instruments
• Direct experience with accelerated/ highly accelerated life test design and analysis
• Hands on with data acquisition tools and techniques, for measuring electrical and physical phenomenon such as voltage, current, torque, force, pressure, or sounds
• Hands on with NI DAQs or similar platforms for PC-based control and automation
• Hands on with common servo systems including brushed and brushless DC motors, feedback device/encoders and the controller
• Hands on with vibration measurement and analysis techniques, in both time and frequency domains, including peak, RMS, FFT, PSD and Spectrogram analysis
• Strong skills in manipulating big data (SQL, Hadoop, excel)
• Hands on with statistical tools such as JMP, Minitab, DOE++ , Weibull++, ALTA, GoldSim
• Experience in programming (C, C++, Matlab)
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.