Intuitive Surgical Careers
Director Engineering, Secondary Markets
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-US-NC-Raleigh
Requisition ID: 190127
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Provide leadership, technical and administrative mentoring across interdepartmental boundaries for the development, evolution, and sustaining of minimally invasive robotic surgical equipment. This key management role will be challenged to effectively lead the engineering efforts associated with secondary markets and mature medical robotic systems. The Director of Engineering is responsible for leading a multi-disciplinary team of software, mechatronic, mechanical, manufacturing, electrical, and verification engineers in the development, documentation, and verification of product and software enhancements, as well as coordinating the release of product updates and manufacturing & service engineering tools.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Manage engineering managers and some individual contributors across broad range of disciplines: software, mechatronic, mechanical, manufacturing, electrical, and verification engineers.
• Lead the development of product updates for current generation and mature minimally invasive surgical robotic products.
• Lead the engineering efforts to resolve product design issues encountered in the field and in manufacturing.
• Support the CAPA and CPIP processes
• Lead the definition and development of secondary markets products to enable the remanufacture of older generation products into lower cost variants of current generation products.
• Establish long and near term group objectives and individual work goals consistent with overall project and team goals
o Assign tasks, set priorities, establish metrics and track progresso Deliver on commitments and drive issues to closureo Assess employee performance and provide coaching to improve performance
• Manage and Allocate team resources over multiple projects. Negotiate for needed resources from other teams to enable project success as needed.
• Manage, coach and mentor managers and team leads in:
o Organizational Development.o Leadership Development.o Process Improvement and Evolution. (Including documentation in Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and design & operational guidelines.)
• Ensure team follows appropriate Design History File guidelines per FDA requirements and supports design reviews in accordance with product development procedures.Qualifications
• Provide administrative leadership / control for planning, staffing, budgeting, and project/program cost tracking.
• Minimum BS in engineering sciences
• Experience in leading (or applying) multiple engineering disciplines (software, mechatronic, mechanical, manufacturing, electrical, and/or verification) strongly preferred.
• Minimum 10 years experience in complex systems engineering
• Minimum 5 years mid level management experience in engineering organization
• Proven experience in a fast paced high transaction environment
• Ability to build and maintain relationships across organizations – including strong capability in building consensus across varying functions and clarifying alignment toward designated business strategies
• Experience designing products in a highly regulated environment required and Medical grade development environment experience strongly preferred.
• Design control expertise a must
• Excellent communication skills a must – including ability to communicate effectively across all levels and organizations
• Excellent project management, planning and change management skills
• Strong project management, planning, decision making, negotiating and change management skills
o Seeks, recognizes, and executes creative and simple solutions to resolve complex department challenges; routinely steadies the team when stressed; leads by example.
• Budgets, project/program cost tracking and other technical management administrative experience
• Familiarity with complex manufacturing systems
• Familiarity with Industry 4.0 and MES/MOMs preferred.
• Strong technical analytical skills including FMEA, statistical methods, and Six Sigma techniques
• Ability to direct and develop employees to have a commitment to high standards of quality and performance. Successful track record with retaining key, high potential staff and recruiting new talent to scale with business demands.
• Proven ability to lead a high performance team to consistently achieve stretch goals and objectives.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.