Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Software Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 190126
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures complex systems for use in surgery. The Imaging & Intelligence team develops products and services to enhance the use of Intuitive’s surgical robotic systems. Within the Imaging & Intelligence new product development (NPD) team, the Sr. Software Engineer is responsible for the requirements, design, development, unit testing and documentation of new products and services, and improvements to existing products and services.
The successful candidate will excel working in a team of talented and dedicated people to develop new imaging products and services to enhance Intuitive’s surgical robotic product lines. The experienced candidate is up-to-date with the latest frontend and backend web- and cloud technologies (REST, AWS, etc.), knows how to utilize and design for virtualization and has a high willingness to learn new programming languages and software technologies. A high comfort level with working across the entire technology stack is required and also includes knowledge of databases and query languages. Understanding how these solutions are deployed and maintained in the field is essential to the success of our products.
The successful candidate must excel in a focused, high-energy, small team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work with the cross-functional team to understand customer- and support requirements and translate these to technical specifications• Contribute to the overall system architecture by designing innovative solutions and translate these to design and implementation• Prototype new designs, test, iterate and ultimately deliver robust, production ready code• Practice test-driven development to achieve the highest code coverage possible for unit testing• Challenge the status-quo by proposing out-of-the-box solutions and utilizing state-of-the-art technology• Contribute to the continuous improvement of documentation practices, formal design and continuous integration/deployment• Support and maintenance of products that are in the field
• Bachelor of Science degree required in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
• Minimum 5 years product development experience with a demonstrated history of products reaching the market place
• Knowledge of scripting languages and frameworks in a Linux environment
• Experience with cloud frameworks and implementation, e.g. AWS
• Knowledge of, and experience with database design, networking, virtualization, data transfer and cloud services
• Experience working with DHFs and standards in a regulated industry (e.g. medical devices)
• Experience with Ruby on Rails is a plus
• Knowledge of, and experience with, medical imaging technologies (e.g., CT, MRI) is a plus
• Strong intuition for, and interest in, designing reliable systems with testability and scalability in mind
• Excellent communication and documentation skills
• A passion for learning and getting to the root of complex technical problems
• A desire to deliver a quality and innovative product that improves people’s lives
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.