Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Engineering Technician, Equipment
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 183635
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly complex mechanical systems for use in Minimally Invasive surgery. Engineering Technicians support these activities by building electro-mechanical manufacturing equipment and fixtures. This will include some aspects of equipment design, as well as assembly per existing designs, and validation testing. This role also involves troubleshooting production equipment and maintaining the Equipment Engineering Lab.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility for:
• Performing equipment troubleshooting and maintenance, including diagnosing failures, reinstalling software, repairing broken equipment, fixtures, cables, probes etc.
• Perform installation, repair and upkeep services for a variety of equipment either in the fields of mechanics and electronics.
• Carry out routine scheduled equipment service and responding to equipment faults;
• Diagnose breakdown problems;
• Fit, design and integrate new equipment/component and make sure equipment is working correctly;
• Perform IQOQPQ for equipment being installed in the facilities.
• Deal with emergency/unscheduled problems and repairs of equipment.
• Procure, assemble and perform qualifications of tooling for seamless introduction into assembly/test processes.
• Building fixtures per engineering design.
• Managing all preventative maintenance for Test Engineering. This includes repairing and broken fixtures, cables, probes etc.
• Organizing and stocking lab areas
• Building fixtures per engineering designs, including mechanical fabrication, wiring, plumbing, soldering, and software installation
• Validation testing of fixtures per established protocols.
• Stocking the Equipment Engineering lab with necessary supplies, materials, tools and other items needed to build fixtures, support the floor, perform experiments etc.
• Write protocols and reports for engineering, qualification and validation studies.
• Write and edit assembly instructions.
• Write, maintain and update troubleshooting guides for production equipment
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.)
• Associate of Science degree or equivalent work experience.
• Experience building electro-mechanical equipment, including mechanical assembly, pneumatic plumbing, wiring of sensors, motors, and valves to PC’s and PLC’s.
• Demonstrated experience in troubleshooting complex electronic/mechanical equipment.
• Good analytical and problem solving skills.
• Ability to do mechanical fabrication using machine and hand tools.
• Ability to solder to IPC standard.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Must be able to read both pneumatic and electrical schematics.
• Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with Equipment Engineers.
• Knowledge of common electrical and mechanical component suppliers.
• Ability to read and diagnose line issues using electrical schematics for troubleshooting equipment
• Computer skills in CAD (Solidworks) and Microsoft Office preferred.
• Ability to travel is necessary (5-10% max)
• Robotics knowledge and or medical industry experience a plus.
• Bilingual in Spanish a plus
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.