Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 183634
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
We are seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join the Advanced Product Development (APD) research and development team at Intuitive Surgical. As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will work with a group of talented and dedicated people to help invent the future of computer-augmented robotic surgery.
The successful candidate will contribute broadly to the APD group, with focused contributions on new robotic arm hardware, instruments, and accessories while addressing performance, cost, and reliability requirements. You will lead the design, sourcing, development, and integration of novel mechanical and mechatronic subsystems for surgical robots and instruments. You must be able to identify and evaluate new candidate technologies, work with vendors to customize hardware and software to meet specific requirements and drive robust technical solutions into production. You will bring both the technical depth to resolve complex mechanical, materials and manufacturing design issues and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team to troubleshoot to root cause higher level system issues.
You must excel in a high-energy team environment and be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures and incomplete information typical of new product development. The successful candidate must have outstanding technical depth in relevant areas and be as comfortable leading and specifying as they are designing. Supporting you will be a development and management team that knows and cares about what you are doing, and works to ensure your success.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Complete early stage research and proof-of-concept work to establish technical feasibility and clinical value. This includes seeking out solutions to subtle and challenging problems in system integration, as well as rapid iterations of prototype development and evaluation.
• Manage the design of mechanical subsystems and projects, which shall include scheduling, budgeting, and coordination of efforts between multiple team members.
• Determine requirements and perform conceptual design, detailed design, analytical modeling, prototyping, and troubleshooting on novel surgical robotic platforms and instruments.
• Identify, test, and report on new materials, manufacturing process, and technologies that could benefit existing products or enable new product designs.
• Investigate and determine root cause of design, manufacturing or material issues.
• Develop vendor technical relationships and project management of vendors.
• Create product architecture specifications as well as component, subassembly, and product functional and design specifications.
• Develop Design History Files (DHF) per FDA requirements.
• Develop and perform component Verification and product Validation testing (V&V).
• Assist with the creation and review of regulatory submission documents.
• Serve as Mechanical Design Engineering member of Design Review Boards.
• Provide written protocols, reports, and oral presentations related to design activities on an ongoing basis.
• Document, prepare, and review patent submissions.
• BS (Mechanical Engineering or related engineering field) required, MS or PhD preferred.
• Minimum five (5) years of experience taking products from concept to production; medical product experience preferred.
• At least eight (8) years of experience with precision mechanical design.
• Familiarity with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer.
• Proven ability to apply the basic laws of physics to understand and achieve quick and reliable solutions to engineering problems.
• Exceptional mechanical aptitude and visual thinking skills.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills such as finite element, statistics and experimental designs.
• Strong understanding of component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability.
• Hands-on engineering skills with the proven ability to work well in a team environment and drive individual projects. Experience managing vendors and projects.
• Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms; SolidWorks preferred.
• Comfort operating standard machine shop equipment for prototyping (mill, lathe, etc..).
• Experience with techniques for rapidly fabricating proof-of-concept and functional prototypes.
• Experience with formal design and development methodologies, including project and configuration management.
• Familiarity with standard mechanical and electrical measurement and test equipment.
• Ability to prepare and release precise and thorough medical device documentation such as design specifications, protocols, and test reports. Candidate should feel comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis.
• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to clearly present to larger groups.
• Solid intellectual property management practices.
• Ability to travel up to 10% of your time.
• A passion for delivering a quality and innovative product that will improve millions of people’s lives!
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.