Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Supplier Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 183596
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The mission of Supplier Engineering is to build a world-class supplier network for our products that can ensure continuity of supply, scale to support demand, provides cost reduction and anticipates and mitigates supply chain risks. Supplier Engineers work throughout the product development lifecycle executing strategic projects to optimize commodities, sub-commodities and individual suppliers; executing detailed projects with suppliers to implement changes and improvements affecting quality, cost, capacity, risk, and sub-supplier management and to launch new products.
This role will focus on manufacturing of electronics including printed circuit boards (PCBs), printed circuit board assemblies (PCBAs), electronic components, sub-assemblies, and fully finished electronic systems for some of Intuitive’s newest products. The ideal candidate has experience bringing electronic devices to market, preferably medical devices; has worked directly with electronics manufacturing service (EMS) suppliers and component suppliers; and has demonstrated knowledge in a variety of electronics manufacturing technologies such as surface mount technology (SMT), automatic optical inspection (AOI), in-circuit test (ICT), functional testing (FUT), cable assemblies, etc.; as well as electronic system and PCBA design experience.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Drive projects to continually improve supply base business and manufacturing process performance to meet Intuitive Surgical’s requirements for supplier excellence using a collection of best practices in project management, Six Sigma, Lean, SPC and negotiation
• Select the right process and supplier for the part, considering long term fit and total cost of ownership
• Work with suppliers to execute cost reductions, capacity improvements, and risk mitigation
o Examples include supplier changes, manufacturing process changes, production optimization, facility changes, new equipment qualification, and new line validations
• Drive changes to ISI requirements as necessary by initiating and managing changes to specifications and drawings through the ECO process
• Manage the planning and execution of supplier change management projects
o Collaborate with suppliers and internal stakeholders to determine deliverables and define timelines
o Complete project deliverables including: Supplier pFMEA, Process Validations (IQ/OQ/PQ), Inspection Reports, Gage R&R, and Process Capability Analysis
o Lead the team in overcoming difficult process issues
• Effectively prioritize and advance multiple concurrent projects and tasks
• Clearly communicate project status to key stakeholders
• BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent, advanced degree preferred
• 2+ years related experience in Supplier Quality, Supplier Development, or related field
• 5+ years in engineering and manufacturing of Electronics, preferably in the medical, automotive, or military industries
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills including presentations to executive level management
• Demonstrated Project Management skills
• Outstanding analytical skills along with good judgment
• Ability to find common ground between various stakeholders, and bring people together to drive towards key goals
• Demonstrable knowledge of a wide range of manufacturing processes including understanding of key input variables for quality, cost and capacity
• Knowledge of Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing techniques, certification preferred
• Knowledge of 21 CFR part 820 and ISO 13485 is a plus
• Proficient in MS Office and ERP Information Systems, preferably SAP
• Experience in a high-volume medical device company is a plus
• Ability to travel to suppliers on an as needed basis – domestic and international
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.