Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Supplier Engineer
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-US-NC-Raleigh
Requisition ID: 183530
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The ideal Candidate possesses broad and deep hands-on process knowledge in mechanical/electrical/optical components and assemblies to develop the next generation of da Vinci robotic surgical systems. You will select and develop our suppliers, our supplier’s parts and manufacturing processes to produce high quality/reliability mechanical, electrical, and optical products using sound engineering principals and an innovate approach, as necessary.
You will also continuously improve our supplier’s manufacturing and business processes to optimize cost, quality, delivery and service requirements using best practices in project management, Six Sigma, Lean, and SPC.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility to:
• Solve complex problems that will prevent manufacturing and reliability defects in the supply chain by identifying critical manufacturing processes, implementing acceptance tests, defining and controlling key input variables, and implementing process control. The system manufacturing processes includes, among others: machining, plastic molding, mechanical assemblies, and subassemblies.
• Select and evaluate suppliers by performing as the key role in the effort to find new suppliers in an existing or new commodity and working with Engineering to maximize the use of the Production supply base.
• Drive suppliers to continually improve their business and manufacturing process performance to meet Intuitive Surgical’s requirements for supplier excellence including ship to stock programs using a collection of best practices in project management, Six Sigma, Lean, SPC and negotiation by leading these efforts with little managerial guidance at several suppliers simultaneously.
• Driving change to ISI specifications as necessary by proposing changes to specifications and drawings including driving the ECO process to implementation.
• Develop and use metrics for supplier part cost, delivery, quality, capacity and capability by creating some metrics to judge required intervention or change at a supplier or in a commodity.
• Review, analyze and close customer complaints, manufacturing variance requests, and first article inspections by judging risk analyses and justifications, determining corrective and preventive actions at suppliers, looking for opportunities with suppliers to eliminate recurrence.
• Drive corrective actions for supplier process by driving suppliers to true root cause analysis and corrective and Preventive actions.
• Deliver the following key deliverables: pFMEA, Special Process Validations, FAI, Cpk Studies, Capacity Studies, DFM/DFA, and should cost analysis.
• Work closely with design, manufacturing and project teams to support launch of new products.
• Ensure compliance to quality management system and regulatory requirements by performing as the lead auditor for QMS audits.
The ideal Candidate possesses broad and deep hands-on electro-mechanical, process and supplier engineering skills to select and develop suppliers, parts, and manufacturing processes to produce high quality/reliability products using sound engineering principals using an innovate approach, as necessary.
• BS degree in Engineering or equivalent, Masters degree preferred
• Minimum 5 years related experience in Manufacturing, Process, Supplier, Mechanical Engineering or related field
• Excellent Project Management, complex problem solving skills, and written/verbal communication skills
• Ability to travel to suppliers on an as needed basis – domestic and international
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.