Intuitive Surgical Careers
Software Engineer, Build/Release
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 183383
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Our surgical robots are deployed worldwide and help nearly a million people per year be cured of cancer and other ailments in a minimally
invasive way that enables them to get back to their families and lives faster with less pain. We are hiring passionate people that want to have a direct impact on helping people live better lives.
About our Productivity and Reliability Team
We are small group looking for strong technical leads that want an opportunity to move fast and help with building our core robotic simulation platform that will enable the broader development team to move fast and create better products for our patients. This is a new group at the company and our mandate is to promote significant change that will improve the productivity and reliability of our engineering teams and products. The team is also responsible for building the a resilient, performant, and secure internal platform which hosts our core back-end services to control our builds, test automation platform, system simulation, engineering data pipelines, and storage for our surgical robotics engineering group. We have the potential to overlap with many teams and as such emphasize tearing down organizational silos and a strong culture of cross-functional collaboration. Nothing is taboo. If you see a high leverage solution to a long standing problem, tear it all down and build the right
solution provided you have the will and a good plan to execute!
Working in the Productivity and Reliability team gives a unique ability to understand how all the pieces of surgical robotics technology fit together: from vision to motion control to data pipelines and sensor integrations. We are building a strong infrastructure foundation that will span multiple surgical robotics platforms. If you are excited about being a force multiplier in a team of talented engineers working on cutting-edge problems, we should talk!
- Create infrastructure that enables rapid iteration across the entire team
- Design and implement build, release, delivery, and deployment pipelines
- Enforce best practices for polyglot software systems
- Manage cloud and on-premise resources to support robust simulation and hardware workflows
- Ensure operational excellence of surgical software systems
- Level up, educate, and evangelize software systems knowledge across the entire surgical robotic teams
Experience & Skills:
- Strong knowledge of Software Engineering and Computer Science fundamentals. It usually comes with Bachelors in CS, but doesn’t
have to be. Equivalent work experience is equally valid.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of talented engineers
Minimum 6 years of relevant professional experience
- Extensive programming experience. We use C, C++, Matlab and Python. You don’t have to know all of them, but should be excited to work with them!
- Demonstrable skills with build toolchains. We use CMake, gcc and ninja.
- Experience with infrastructure as code. We're using Ansible now, but am interested to hear your experiences.
- Deep understanding of Linux operating systems, virtualization and containerization. We use VMWare currently and are looking to scale
into Docker and Kubernetes
- Extended knowledge of cloud and internal infrastructure and how to bridge between them. We use AWS and Nutanix.
Nice To Have:
- Expertise with scaling version control systems, especially Git
- Experience with multiple programming paradigms
- Experience with the Linux kernel
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.