Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182912
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly-complex robotic systems for use in minimally-invasive surgical applications. Our systems engineering team is committed to utilizing cutting-edge research and technology to develop innovative design solutions for our current and next generation surgical robot systems.
We are seeking a candidate with exceptional machine design and analytical skills to develop and verify new mechanical designs. As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, your role is to utilize creativity and sound engineering judgment, as well as rigorous design analysis in the design of surgical robotics products You will be responsible for key subsystems and will interface with suppliers and manufacturing to build high-quality hardware prototypes, productize new designs as well as refine existing subsystem designs. You will be expected to excel in a focused, high-energy, collaborative work environment with a team of talented engineers. You should be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures, ambiguous, and incomplete information.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work within multi-disciplinary teams to develop system and subsystem architectures leading to conceptual and detailed designs
• Develop world-class designs that meet performance, reliability, manufacturability and cost targets
• Evaluate designs via prototype testing and rigorous mathematical analysis
• Work with NPI engineering to develop manufacturing processes that result in high quality, reliable products
• Work with supplier engineering to identify and grow vendors to supply consistent, quality components
• Create functional and design specifications and component drawings
• Develop and lead subsystem verification and validation testing
• Document, prepare and review patent submissions
• Self-driven with the ability to excel in a high-energy, small, focused team environment, to maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward, and to make work fun and interesting.
• Proven ability to identify issues, bring clarity and transparency, and to lead a team effectively to appropriate product solutions
• Demonstrated track record of delivering solid technical solutions
• Ability to bring a practiced engineering intuition to bear on issues and then back it up w/ solid engineering work
• Ability develop complex mechanical designs and convey them simply and clearly to others using basic engineering concepts
• Proficient using CAD to design and document mechanisms, Solidworks preferred
• Deep understanding of materials as they relate to design and manufacturability
• Passion for solving difficult technical challenges
• Possess a real excitement for learning and growing both technically and professionally
• BSME required, MSME preferred
• Minimum 8 years of industry experience in developing commercial mechanical robotic designs
• Ideally minimum 4 years of medical design experience
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.