Intuitive Surgical Careers
Applied Research Intern
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182867
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Must be concurrently enrolled and returning to an academic program in the fall in an accredited degree-seeking program.
Primary Function of Position:
We are seeking a summer intern to support the Applied Research team in implementing motion tracking technologies that will enable next generation robotic surgery platforms.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The intern will prototype and test novel motion sensing technologies with the following responsibilities:
• Build a robust and generalized motion sensing framework that can be used to experiment with research platforms currently under development
• Prototype a sensing framework in Matlab
• Fuse multi-rate sensors in a real time development environment
• Experiment with several users and internal advisors to iterate the design based on feedback and performance
• Document learning and transfer knowledge to the team
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
• Graduate level study in computer science, robotics, mechatronics, electrical engineering, or related program, with a systems and controls emphasis
• Hands on experience with C/C++/Matlab/Python
• Experience with motion tracking, sensor fusion, and spatial kinematics
• Experience with user interface and user metrics would be beneficial
• A good working knowledge of CAD tools (SolidWorks) and rapid prototyping is a plus
• Self-starter and able to work in a collaborative and results oriented environment
• Develop, build, and test prototypes in an industrial research environment
• Learn about the principles of various technologies and how they are applied to computer-assisted surgery
• Work in a cross-disciplinary environment with support from software, controls, mechanical, electrical, and clinical engineers
Commitment: Must be available to work full-time hours, M-F for 10-12 weeks beginning Summer of 2019.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.