Intuitive Surgical Careers
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182830
Intuitive Surgical: What Matters
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position
We are seeking an intern to support the technical development of a novel surgical robot system. The engineer will be expected to work with a team that designs and develops radical new imaging and navigation algorithms.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Developing Matlab and C++ software tools in the area of robotics and medical image processing
• Designing and prototyping software algorithms in the area of image-based registration
• Quickly iterating on the design and testing of multiple prototype solutions
• Developing rigorous test methods to evaluate these prototypes
• Working with a cross-disciplinary project team to understand and communicate design tradeoffs
• Working towards a PhD or Master's in ME, EE, CS or similar
• Strong programming and debugging skills in C/C++ and Matlab
• Experience in medical image processing, analysis, and segmentation
• Solid understanding of rigid-body and mechanism kinematics
• Prior experience writing Linux software applications a plus
• Hands-on experience working with sensors and data acquisition systems a plus
• Excellent communication (written, oral), presentation, and documentation skills
• Self-motivated independent worker but simultaneously balancing broader team goals
• Detail oriented and able to develop and push a single solution to completion
• A real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems
• Must be available to work full-time hours, M-F for at least 10 weeks this spring/summer/fall
• Longer periods (3-6 months) are possible
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.