Intuitive Surgical Careers
Platform Software Intern
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182829
Intuitive Surgical: What MattersJoining Intuitive Surgical, Inc. means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Must be concurrently enrolled and returning to an academic program in the fall in an accredited degree-seeking program.
Primary Function of Position:
We are seeking a talented individual to support the technical development of a novel surgical robot system. The successful candidate will be expected to work with a team that conceptualizes, designs, and develops software for a new robotic platform.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility for:
• Supporting the development and debugging of C++ software for a robotic system; investigate/prototype/develop new functionality, or improve the architecture for existing functionality, of selected features
• Develop python scripts in support of automated testing, or other improvements to the software infrastructure and tools
• Supporting hardware/system bringup & test, as requested; interact with EEs on board design/bringup and FPGA development/testing
• As requested, quickly iterating on the design and testing of prototype solutions
• Work with a cross-disciplinary project team to understand and communicate design tradeoffs
• Informally test software builds, including informal acceptance testing as well as trying to recreate intermittent defects; possibly support formal verification, including protocol development, pre-testing, and test execution
• Support system demonstrations, animal and cadaver labs
• Triage/debug system issues where the root cause may be software, EE, or ME
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
• Working towards a PhD or Master's in ME, EE, CS or similar
• Strong programming and debugging skills in C/C++; experience with python & Matlab a plus
• Experience with Linux and/or real time operating systems (e.g., QNX) a plus
• Experience with robotics or complex electromechanical systems a plus
• Excellent communication (written, oral), presentation, and documentation skills
• Self-motivated independent worker but simultaneously balancing broader team goals
• Detail oriented and able to develop and push a single solution to completion
• A real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems
• Exposure to professional software development and related processes/best practices
• Development experience
Commitment: Must be available to work full-time hours, M-F for 10-12 weeks beginning Summer of 2019.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.