Intuitive Surgical Careers
Computer Vision Scientist
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182643
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures state-of-the-art robot-assisted systems for use in minimally-invasive surgery. These systems are revolutionizing the way in which surgery is being done and offer a unique platform that is being used routinely at hospitals worldwide for exploring the potential of digital surgery. Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The Applied Research group within Intuitive Surgical has an immediate opening in Sunnyvale, CA for a research scientist with focus on Computer Vision, Deep Learning and Image Analytics, contributing to new technology development in the area of 3D scene understanding/reconstruction and spatial AI systems for next-generation robot-assisted surgery platforms. This role is an exciting opportunity to join a newly formed team and contribute to its growth and it will give you an opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem solving environment.
The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy, focused, small-team environment, be able to initiate and drive new research directions, and have a commitment to high research quality. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required.
As part of the research team, immediate responsibilities include:
• Research, design and implement algorithms in deep learning for computer vision and image analytics• Contribute to research projects that develop a variety of algorithms and systems in computer vision, image and video analysis.• Advance the state-of-the-art in the field, including generating patents and publications• Develop prototypes of 3D recognition models that scale to large clinical datasets• Develop prototypes of dense 3D reconstruction systems based on multi-view image sensors• Contribute to building new clinical datasets and data pipelines
• Participate in integration of new ML/CV algorithms into existing and future robotic platforms• Experiment with several users and clinical advisors to iterate prototype designs based on feedback and performance.• Develop new technologies and digital products to improve surgeon and team performance on robotic surgery platforms.• Support academic collaborations in related fields.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Contribute to multiple areas of research, including but not limited to the following:
o Design and apply CV/ML algorithms to novel, surgical applicationso Design/bring-up of novel sensing technologieso Characterize surgeon and team behavior and workflow to optimize new technologies
• Establish strong academic collaborations across research disciplines
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience). In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must have:
• Doctoral degree in computer science, electrical and computer engineering, or Master's degree with minimum (5) years industry experience developing computer vision and machine learning applications• Strong understanding of machine learning: you should be familiar with the process (data collection, training, evaluation, and making iterative improvements) of building effective learning systems.• Strong hands-on experience with at least one of the main stream deep learning frameworks such TensorFlow, PyTorch, BLVC Caffe, Theano• Strong hands-on experience with Python (proficiency), C/C++ (proficiency), Shell Script, Matlab• Strong engineering practices, debugging/profiling skills, familiarity with multi- threaded programming.• Train machine learning and deep learning models on a computing cluster to perform visual recognition tasks, such as segmentation and detection• Hands-on experience with GPU accelerated algorithms and implementations• Hands-on experience with state-of-the-art models based on CNNs, RNNs, and LSTMs• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal• Interested in early phases of product exploration and iteration based on incomplete requirements.• Solid understanding of computer vision, machine learning, and deep learning algorithms and techniques is required• Experience with visualization tools is a plus• Self-starter and able to work in a collaborative and results-oriented environment• Ability to travel domestically and internationally (5-15%)• Able to view live and recorded surgical procedures
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.