Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
This position has the global responsibility of supporting all real estate related construction and tenant improvement projects, to provide detail direction and information, from the project inception through to completion of a project in accordance with the needs assessment, programming requirements, budget, design benchmarks, and timelines established. Reporting to the Sr. Director Planning Design & PMO; The Director Global Architectural Design is responsible for key areas which include: Close collaboration with various Intuitive Surgical stakeholders including business unit representatives, the real estate construction manager, the regional operations manager, the project architect and various design consultants and internal colleagues, such as Marketing and I.T. representatives. Creation of a comprehensive project program analysis of current as-built conditions in open office areas, customer areas, labs and specialty areas, creation of preliminary design documents showing design solution opportunities, limitations, or restrictions according to site conditions, code requirements, or physical constraints. Creation of proposed schematic design solution drawings adhering to the known global design standards that can inform the project architect and assist with the creation of design construction drawings, and project cost estimating. Tracking of project progress and design compliance through to completion and close out. Maintenance of key architectural standards and guidelines in support of building a repeatable design and project delivery process globally, and to create a methodology of designing and delivering a world class efficient and effective Real Estate Portfolio.
This position also has the important responsibility to maintain business relationships with key members of the real estate and workplace services team, the internal I.T. group, the EHSS organization, the marketing organization, business unit representatives, high use lab teams and various leadership groups. Understanding the cultural differences in regions and countries Intuitive does business in will be very important to operating effectively in this global role.
Finally, a key component of this role will be to keep sites aligned with the design and architectural standards on a global scale, in support of the Real Estate Team’s operating cost models. This role will require working closely with the customer and RE Portfolio Managers to make sure the design and use of space is cost effective and maximizes its use in the most efficient and effective manner possible.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Coordinating all planning and design efforts including project initiation, discovery, programming, proposed solutions, costing and approvals. Working with the requesting business unit, construction manager, REWS Operations manager, IT, A/V and EHSS to create effective and efficient design solutions.
- Globally work with the theater construction project managers on all construction projects during project discovery, programming, and design phase. This will include working directly with architects and other vendors in the design process for projects around the world.
- Ensure that architectural designs meet environmental, safety, structural, zoning, and aesthetic standards. This includes a working knowledge of government regulations and environmental health and safety codes such as UBC, UFC, OSHA, etc.
- Working with the construction project manager and regional REWS director, create project schedules and sequence different stages of the construction and building process according to client needs, and project requirements. During the construction process visit the construction site to monitor progress and ascertain whether phases of the construction process are in compliance with the architectural building plans and project deadlines.
- Maintaining the accuracy of the Architectural Guidelines, updating, and disseminating the information to the REWS team, EHSS, I.T., architects and general contractors as needed on a regular basis.
- Evaluation and management of various outsourced architectural firm’s performance. This includes the responsibility to manage architectural contract terms and conditions, service level agreements, and key performance indicators, and the need periodically bid service providers regionally to support projects globally.
- Insure clients’ requests are completed and follow-up with status to insure closure.
- Managing the project approval process through to completion using an internal approval processes and system.
- Development and communication of fit-up requirements and seating plans to the end users, IT department, and REWS PM’s.
- Drive coordination between REWS, A/V, EHSS and IT teams relating to project design.
- Provide assistance with the strategic and local space planners in coordination of space planning and lab/office requirements for the internal space of groups as required.
- Provide assistance, direction and/or coordination of activities as required by Construction & Furniture PM’s, CAFM Managers, Operations Managers. Communicates effectively to all as required.
- Manage design change orders throughout projects.
- Develop in conjunction with planning and construction managers advanced methods of lab design resulting in more efficient use of space, lower cost operations, and reduced environmental impact.
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Minimum BA/BS In business, engineering, architecture, construction, construction management, or other technical degree.
- MBA Degree optional
- Facilities certification (CFM, PMP, (Project Management Programming) certification, IFMA credentials
- BA in Art, Visual Arts, Graphic Design, or Interior Design a plus
- 6-10 years’ experience related to space planning, architectural and design field for corporate office and lab environments.
- 5-7 Years managing architectural design and project programming of real estate related projects on a global scale, including the creation and management of global design standards and specification.
- 6+ years of experience with AutoCAD
- 5-7 years’ experience in the use of a CAFM, computer aided facilities management systems
- 3-5 years functioning in the role of a project manager on construction projects a minimum of ($5M in size) a plus.
- 3-5 years’ experience designing critical lab environments environments including an operating knowledge of UPS systems, generators, mechanical and electrical distribution systems both AC & DC. Experience in building medical environments is preferred.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, a team player.
- Possess excellent verbal/written communication skills, strong sense of urgency, team player, strong customer service skills, exercise professionalism.
- Proficient in MS office applications especially MS Project or other similar project management software programs an also proficient with AutoCAD, Archibus Software, IWMS systems.
- Ability to work with individuals at all levels, follow-through and complete all projects in a timely manner, work in a fast-paced dynamic environment, and handle multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize effectively.
- Demonstrated leadership experience including managing local and non-local teams, leading a change management process.
- Working knowledge of common contract language and terminology with the ability to work directly with procurement and internal or external legal counsel to negotiate local, national, global contracts. Ability to independently bid major service and vendor contracts on a periodic basis.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and manage financial analysis such as cash flow, P/L, ROI, and NPV financial analysis.
- Proven ability to develop preliminary high level construction budgets, forecast project spend, and work with colleagues in finance to accrue, and report on quarterly and annual expense and capital budgets.
- Working knowledge of industry accepted accounting procedures, and GAAP policies.
- Proven ability to control costs and analyzes the effectiveness of architectural design and construction materials.
- Working knowledge of government regulations and environmental health and safety codes such as UBC, UFC, OSHA, etc.
- Ability and experience with industry standard construction benchmarking and metrics.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from Executive and senior leaders, managers, customers, suppliers, and contractors.
- Ability to listen to others to understand their perspectives, to define and communicate objectives and programs effectively, and persuade vendors and contractors to perform to meet commitments.
- Self-motivated and performance driven; coupled with the willingness to take necessary actions to deliver on commitments.
- Ability to prioritize and exercise discretion in dealing with confidential information and highly sensitive issues.
- Proven record of providing excellent internal /external customer service.
- Good planning, time management, communications, decision-making, presentation, human relations, and organization skills.
- Ability to work well with people of all backgrounds, cultures, and nationalities.
- Possess a strong work ethic and desire for helping others achieve success.
- Optimism, enthusiasm, and ability to break through obstacles to exceed the expectations for the position.
- Demonstrated success building teams and managing across multiple locations.
- Demonstrated skill delivering strategic approaches, with agile execution.
- Exceptional negotiator: experienced in a variety of services & contract types.
- Effective vendor management: focused on the delivery of excellent customer service.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Office environment (indoor & outdoor)
- Global travel required quarterly, approximately 2 weeks per quarter.
- Manufacturing environment, including particulate clean rooms, coupled with a medical/research lab environment including operating rooms.
- Construction sites
- Periodic travel to regional offices both domestic and international required (10%-25 depending on project requirements) approximately 2 weeks per quarter.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $184,000 USD - $276,000 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $156,400 USD - $234,600 USD
Travel: 25% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.