At Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare’s hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere—we strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture—our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real-world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let’s advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
The purpose of this job function is to serve as a Clinical Project Manager (CPM) in the Clinical Affairs Department to support projects in Europe (EU). This role has responsibility to oversee initiation, progress and conduct of clinical studies with a focus on Intuitive sponsored trials. The CPM serves as a contact to all parties involved in the project, internal and external.
The candidate will ensure clinical trial conduct in compliance with applicable laws, regulations MDD/MDR, ISO14155, guidance Good Clinical Practices (GCP), and Intuitive Surgical SOPs. This position will report to Clinical Affairs, Europe, based at Intuitive Surgical’s Headquarters, in Switzerland.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority for:
- Intuitive Surgical Sponsored Studies
- Manage and execute clinical research activities essential to the successful conduct of pre and post market clinical studies in EU.
- Responsible for the management of the clinical studies including project development, budget, investigator selection, analysis of potential patient recruitment, preparation of study related documents (protocols, case report forms, informed consents, clinical trial agreements), organizing Competent Authority and Ethics Committee submissions with follow thorough to ensure a successful outcome.
- Manages ongoing study activities, enrolment, safety reporting, troubleshooting, etc.
- Works with data management and statisticians as needed for assigned projects.
- Ensures adherence to safety reporting requirements per local and national and European regulations.
- Supervises the maintenance of study documentation managed by the CRA and/or clinical study coordinator.
- Plans and manages the project timelines to ensure clinical studies are conducted in a timely manner and within the project budget.
- Proactively anticipates and understands concerns/issues/delays in the project and develops risk assessment and contingency plans.
- Prepares all project status updates and power point presentations for reporting to internal stakeholders for all assigned projects.
- Supports the selection of participants to physician advisory boards, safety committees and supports the conduct of such meetings.
- Manages publication development to submissions for studies.
- Ensure compliance with corporate (e.g., SOP’s) and regulatory requirements (e.g., GCP and US and OUS guidelines).
- Ensure audit readiness of clinical projects to relevant regulatory and legal standards.
- Management of Contract Research Organization (CRO) or independent clinical service providers, e.g., identification of suitable partner(s), development of contracts or work charter and interactive management of entity to ensure project success.
- Manage CRAs and support their activities as required.
- Review and approval of all site monitoring visit reports. Follow up with the assigned CRA to ensure clear and concise trip reports and relevant site trouble-shooting issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Co-monitoring with the assigned CRA for additional quality control if the need arise.
- General participation of meetings, reporting and adherence with Intuitive Surgical policies.
- Review and develop internal processes e.g., SOPs.
- Track Investigator Initiated Trials projects under the Intuitive research grant program.
- Builds and maintain relationships to key opinion leaders and supports the management of research discussions.
- Supports and provides additional training to CRAs and CTCs.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Graduate qualification in Life Sciences, medicine, or medical sciences. A PhD qualification is an advantage.
- Experience working in the medical device industry in clinical affairs/research function with evidence of full project management responsibility for at least three years.
- Knowledge of applicable medical device regulations and guidelines including GCP, ISO-14155, MEDDEV, MDR and Data protection rules in EU.
- Protocol and CRF development experience for both pre and post CE mark trials.
- Strong numerical and literary analytic skills - ability to assess data and literature quickly
- Experience reviewing clinical data sets to evaluate data quality and address issues as needed is required.
- Experience of studies with health economic focus is an advantage.
- Experience of managing CRO’s or external consultants is an advantage.
- Experience of publishing clinical research (own or in clinical industry capacity) is an advantage.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with strong influencing abilities.
- Ability to work independently and across teams whilst keeping open communication with key stakeholders.
- Experience working as a Clinical Research Associate with evidence of at least one to two years of on-site monitoring is an advantage.
- English and French languages required; a third European language (German, Dutch, Italian, …) is an advantage.
- Comfortable in a hospital/surgical environment.
- Ability to travel up to 25% throughout Europe is required.
- Ability to manage multiple clinical research projects.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.