Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical, Inc. produces the da Vinci® Surgical System, a minimally invasive robotic surgery system that uses highly complex mechanics, replaceable instruments and accessories, and enhanced three-dimensional visualization to extend surgical technique and precision beyond the limits of the human hand.
The Sr Mechanical Design Engineer will help develop new flexible instruments and accessories while addressing clinical effectiveness and performance needs. A successful candidate will have strong technical depth in key areas for mechanical design, catheter design, and materials selection, but also have breadth to support multiple different research project, prototypes, and clinical applications. The candidate will also technically manage projects across groups and vendors and have the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required as well as a commitment to high product quality.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work in cross-functional project team to design, develop and verify designs for flexible surgical instruments and accessories.
- Work with KOLS and develop concepts based on early clinical, marketing, and customer inputs including early prototyping of designs.
- Lead early stage ideation and prototyping efforts
- Evaluations of prototypes, critically analyze results, and make design changes or recommendations with the design team.
- Provide support for pre-clinical and clinical labs
- Generate IP and evaluate opportunities from a technical perspective
- Establish individual goals consistent with overall project goals
- Minimum BS Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or related engineering or scientific discipline required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience required
- Proven ability to own all aspects of early stage projects, self starter, takes initiative Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms; SolidWorks preferred
- Hands-on engineering with ability to work well in a team environment
- Experience with flexible Endoluminal devices
- Steerable catheters a plus
- Ultrasound devices a plus
- Experience with braiders and laminators a plus
- Experience with 3D printing, machining, and injection molding a plus
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Project management experience a plus
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $143,500 USD - $206,500 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $122,000 USD - $175,600 USD
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.