Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Systems Analysts (Robotic Algorithms and Controls Engineers) at Intuitive Surgical strive to create the safest and highest quality robotic system for minimally invasive surgery though rigorous and robust technical analysis. This position is responsible for algorithms and controls required to support the development and production of new instruments for the da Vinci Surgical System. Required skills include knowledge of control systems, robot kinematics, software development, statistics, and a solid understanding of mechanical systems.
- Develop and own the tele-operated motion performance of robotic surgical instruments. Ensuring motion fidelity will involve:
- Working closely with the clinical development team to understand performance requirements;
- Working closely with the mechanical design team to optimize the mechanism for motion fidelity;
- Using analysis and experimentation to develop a deep understanding of the behavior and limitations of the instrument mechanism;
- Modifying and tuning the algorithms to optimize motion fidelity and ensure consistent performance in the clinical environment.
- Implement features and algorithms to support new instrument development, including collaboration with the design team to iterate through prototypes, analyze performance, and assess feasibility.
- Perform risk analysis and implement safety algorithms. This includes documentation of risks, requirements, and test protocols to support requests for approval by regulatory agencies such as the FDA.
- Analyze field data to continuously improve the performance and stability of the surgical instrument.
- Collaborate with the manufacturing team to develop automated fixtures for calibrating, testing, and aiding assembly of the instrument. Additionally, determine manufacturing test specifications that will ensure instrument performance.
- Lead by having a breadth of technical knowledge that enables a top-level view of the entire project. Using this perspective, you will act as an interface between various technical specialties; Take ownership of issues that cross disciplinary boundaries and use your broad skillset to ensure the success of the project.
- PhD with 3+ years (preferred) or MS with 6+ years of experience in robotics-related field.
- Intuitive understanding of mechanical phenomena with ability to do rigorous analysis.
- C/C++ and MATLAB programming skills, as well as hardware, software, and mechanism integration skills.
- Knowledge of Python and basic SQL is a plus.
- Knowledge of classical and modern servo control systems.
- Knowledge of serial-arm robot kinematics.
- Knowledge of statistics is a plus.
- Knowledge of electrical and mechanical design principles and CAD tools is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Experience launching real-world, commercially successful products is a plus.
- Ability to work independently and the determination to solve challenging problems.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $164,000 USD - $236,000 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $139,400 USD - $200,600 USD
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.