Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly complex mechanical systems for use in surgery. The Machine Shop is responsible for providing support to development, engineering, and manufacturing. This support includes both new part fabrication and modification of mechanical components.
We are looking for an energetic, self-motivated, well-rounded machinist/model maker that can bring experience and the willingness to grow in our company. The job requires the ability to be a creative thinker with the ability to work with the engineering staff to solve problems daily. This person needs to independently program and operate CNC machines, including Mill, Lathe and Wire, to tight tolerances. We are looking for a person with experience using a variety of materials including stainless and tool steel, aluminum, and a variety of plastics. Being able to use advanced inspection equipment to qualify parts is also required for this position. We are looking for a team player with a “can do” attitude. We offer competitive pay, great benefits in a friendly and professional work environment.
Essential Job Duties
- Support Engineering staff in all new product development
- Fabricate new parts.
- Modifications to existing parts
Required Education and Training
- Minimum 7 to 10 years of experience in an engineering development environment as a CNC machinist
- Minimum High school diploma from a vocational technical high school, completion of an apprenticeship program or community college / technical school training program
Required Skills and Experience
- Ability to work in a precision component environment
- Ability to develop setup fixtures and intricate tight tolerance work holding assemblies
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and 3D software (Mastercam, Solidworks)
- Ability to check dimensions of the part according to blueprint, by using precision measuring instruments including micrometers, calipers, fixtures, gauges, vision systems and other test equipment
- Applying knowledge of mechanics, mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures
- Basic understanding of GD&T
- Materials knowledge of metals and plastics
- Understanding of speeds and feeds of different materials and the ability to adjust accordingly
- Ability to machine to very tight tolerances ±.001
- Assist in job planning / scheduling / training of other team members
- Experience with MasterCam programming, mill, multi axis 3+2, lathe and wire
- Willingess to learn how to use rapid prototyping equipment and processes including silicone mold making and casting
- Willingness to work with calibration reports and to ensure all equipment is within calibration
- Experience with metal and plastic fabrication
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Ability to create parts or fixtures using Solidworks
- Basic understanding of “DFM” (design for manufacturing)
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $75,200 USD - $101,800 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $63,900 USD - $86,500 USD
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.