Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly complex mechanical systems for use in surgery. The Manager of Mechanical Engineering is responsible for guiding the exploration and development of early product concepts and technologies that establish the da Vinci product platform. The Manager of Mechanical Engineering is also responsible for functional management of a group of Mechanical Engineers and other technical personnel, and selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the group.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide product development leadership to ensure product designs provide value to patients, surgeons, and hospitals
- Work with customers and subject matter experts to develop in-depth knowledge of customer needs/requirements as they relate to da Vinci surgical robotic platforms
- Work with senior management and cross-functional stakeholders (e.g. Product Management, Business Development) to identify and define product opportunities and business goals, and formulate product proposals for presentation to senior leadership
- Apply a deep understanding of current da Vinci products and their application, as well as Intuitive’s broader product development organization, to inform product development recommendations and execution
- Inform the organization of project status by leading the creation of technical and business presentations to stakeholders and senior leadership. Make recommendations about future direction and project plans.
- Lead project teams in early-stage development efforts
- Utilize Intuitive’s Evaluation Stage development process and teach its proper application
- Distill complex inputs, frame tradeoffs, and set meaningful objectives to focus team for success
- Assist the development of product requirements and creation of design solutions to meet those requirements. Provide detailed guidance to design engineers through brainstorming, detailed reviews, and collaborative problem-solving. Guide teams to develop and demonstrate compelling product architectures.
- Coordinate activities of direct team with those of other groups in the organization. Interface with functions such as marketing, business development, legal, design engineering, clinical engineering, human factors, industrial design, etc. to build consensus and make progress.
- Develop detailed project staffing plans, schedules, budgets, and goals
- Manage the appropriate documentation and archiving of project information
- Manage the creation and protection of IP
- Manage the successful transition of product designs from advanced development into the new product development organization
- Establish group and individual objectives, priorities, and metrics to:
- Ensure fulfillment of current customer demands
- Ensure progress towards Product Development goals
- Ensure reliability and efficiency improvements of products
- Manage, coach, and develop staff
- Provide vision for mechanical engineering team and foster an environment that encourages creativity, risk taking, and crisp execution
- Grow and maintain a team of mechanical engineers by recruiting and retaining highly talented and motivated individuals
- Schedule, organize, and direct the work of engineering staff and outside consultants to support advanced development projects that are effective and efficient
- Establish group objectives and individual work goals consistent with overall product development goals. Assign tasks, set priorities, establish metrics, and track progress.
- Manage drafters, technicians, and other support personnel as required
- Assess employee performance and provide coaching to improve performance
- Actively support the career development of staff through ongoing talent action plans and allocation of time to training and development opportunities
- Provide administrative leadership / control for planning, staffing, budgeting, and project/program cost tracking
- Work with others to refine Intuitive’s advanced development processes and advance the state of the art
- Manage lab equipment and resources to support the effective work of the development team
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- A selfless leader who inspires trust and commitment within their team and in the broader organization through integrity, passion, and professional excellence
- Minimum BS (Mechanical Engineering or related engineering field) required, MS or PhD preferred
- Minimum 10 years’ experience designing commercial mechanical products or related education
- Experience taking minimum 3 commercial products through entire design, development, implementation launch cycle.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience leading product development teams or managing subordinates
- Hands-on engineering manager with the proven ability to work well in a team environment
- Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
- Strong analysis skills, knowledge of CAD and analysis tools that drive design excellence
- Prior experience with the Design Control processes for medical devices and clinical application of surgical instruments is required. Experience in an ISO 13485, ISO 9001, or medical device manufacturing environment required.
- Detailed knowledge of and experience working with robotic design components including sensors, motors, and drive trains preferred
- Experience designing products in a highly regulated environment
- Ability to interface with customers and potential business partners in a highly professional manner
- Strong project management, planning, and change management skills
- Ability to lead/influence cross functional teams in the design of complex robotic systems. Work with cross functional development team (RA/QA/ME/NPV/CDE) to develop and manage project contracts, including project plans, budgets, managing timeline, risks and issues to meet customer and business goals
- Excellent communication (written, verbal), presentation and documentation skills
- Budgets, project/program cost tracking and other technical management administrative experience
- Strong people management abilities with ability to ensure team success (staffing, productivity)
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $165,600 USD - $238,400 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $140,800 USD - $202,600 USD
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.